Thread: Roy Underhill at Highland Woodworking in Atlanta

Newnan, Georgia (30 miles south of Atlanta)

Roy Underhill at Highland Woodworking in Atlanta

As part of their one day Fall sale, Highland Woodworking had professional woodworkers demonstrate using hand tools. Since it is so close to Halloween, of course Roy Underhill made coffins! He did so while fielding questions and telling jokes aplenty. It was a blast and at the end of the day, I left with the greatest front door Halloween display ever!

Roy Underhill Coffin 1.jpgRoy Underhill Coffin 2.jpg
    Last edited by John P Lewis; 10-17-2015 at 7:48 PM. Reason: photos

That's neat John. Glad it was a good time! The folks at Highland are a class act. Every time I place an order, they include a brief personal note on my invoice.

So are the sides of the coffin kerfed to make the bend or is it wrinkled up from steam bending and the wood compressing. My best guess would be kerfed because of the wood species and where the event was would've maybe been tough to set up a steamer.

Either way that is a very cool Halloween decoration. Roy is very easy going and will talk with anyone, as long as you get passed the star struck behavior. I met him here in Maine at the LN Open House this year and he was extremely cool to talk with.

Newnan, Georgia (30 miles south of Atlanta)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    So are the sides of the coffin kerfed to make the bend or is it wrinkled up from steam bending and the wood compressing. My best guess would be kerfed because of the wood species and where the event was would've maybe been tough to set up a steamer.

Either way that is a very cool Halloween decoration. Roy is very easy going and will talk with anyone, as long as you get passed the star struck behavior. I met him here in Maine at the LN Open House this year and he was extremely cool to talk with.

There are 5 saw cuts running across the inside of each side.

Blog Entries
    I guess you missed the dovetail class he did on Sunday? It was a lecture class, with lots of strange dovetail types, that according to Roy are only useful to irritate other woodworkers. He just did tails, pens are apparently another class.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 10-20-2015 at 9:00 AM.