Thread: It came in the mail the other day

It came in the mail the other day

Well, it did show up at the mailbox. Took three days to get from Indy, IN to here......Indianna Pony Express.
    IMAG0286.jpgIMAG0287.jpg
    Same size as a Stanley #3. Methinks this $.99 + S&H plane MIGHT be a Millers Falls made plane. There is a "Craftsman Tools" label on the handle
    IMAG0285.jpg
    So, maybe I had better clean this one up?
    IMAG0285.jpg
    Iron sharpened up nicely, was almost flat. Needed a couple small nicks taken out is all. Sides and sole cleaned up as well. No pits, just a slight "bloom" of rust. Plank is some White Oak
    IMAG0287.jpg
    Smudges from my fingers? Got out my Millers falls No.8
    IMAG0292.jpg

Other than the "Craftsman" style parts, these are the same planes. Craftsman has a "3C'' stamped into the side, and the iron has Craftsman Made in USA BB stamped into it. Lever cap isn't the fancy Millers Falls type, but....
    IMAG0289.jpg
    Logo is a brass flavoured sort of thing. There is no frog adjust bolt on the Craftsman, either. The wood for the handles is the same for both planes. Millers Falls version of Rosewood. At just under $9 counting shipping, this might be a keeper?

Blog Entries
    Methinks this $.99 + S&H plane MIGHT be a Millers Falls made plane.
    It seems to have all the indications of Millers Falls productions.

Looks like a good little plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The BB stamped on your plane indicates in fact that it was manufactured by Millers Falls.

Rear handle does have a few paint spots.....need a good way to remove just the spots. With that minty, vintage Sears "Craftsman Tools" label, I just don't feel like doing a whole lot of refinishing...just for a few white spots of paint. Wood looks reddish, with black stripes all through it. I doubt IF it is rosewood, though. Might be that fancy stuff Millers Falls used? Gian Colo??? Very thick varnish on the wood, too. Not sure WHEN this one was sold by Sears......Logo on the lever cap has a brass?gold effect to it, rather than the blue or red infills of the other logos that I have seen. Seems to be a decent enough plane.....

Looks like a good find to me, Steven!

It is a Miller's Falls plane. I have one of those and it seems to be a tad heavier than my No. 3 Stanley. You have a good keeper.

You did well.enjoy it ....
    Jerry

Don't know about Millers Falls making Craftsman, but do know that Dunlop made a boat load for Sears.

Dunlap was just the name given to a second line of sears tools UNDER Craftsman in quality.

Ok; The way I understand this is..
    Craftsman Brand was their top of the line planes.....depending on who won the contract that year, either Stanley, Millers Falls ,or even Sargent made them

The Budget Line was about the same, just a lower price point and labeled as Dunlap. Seems a fellow that worked for Sears lent his name to these planes, it was also before Sears brought out the Craftsman Line of tools.

There was a third brand, a bit older than the other two brands. It was called Fulton Tool Co. and was made by Sargent for Sears.

Not sure what year mine was made in. They had a Crown logo one year, the logo was filled with Blue paint, then Red Paint, then Sears simply ordered a plain lever cap with SEARS in black paint applied to it.

The iron seems to be the same as my Millers Falls No.8, same thickness and all. I might try to go and "type" it, to see whenit was made.....thinking around 1947ish...