Thread: Any word on a larger jointer/planer combo from Grizzly

Any word on a larger jointer/planer combo from Grizzly

I have been eyeing the 12" jointer/planer combo (G0634xp) for a while and hopefully can pull the trigger at some point next year. But usually what happens is I buy a tool only to have an better one released a year later. As was the case with their new 22" lathe that recent came out...

Any insiders have any info on a 14 or 16" combo machine coming out in a respectable price point any time soon?
    Not allowed

I debated buying a new machine. Had I it would have been a Mini Max or Hammer. But while I was researching them I found a Mini Max FS35 14" J/P in beautiful condition for less than you would pay for the Grizzly 12" J/P. It was a bear to get it down into my basement shop but required no repair or refurbishment other than cleaning off some dirt and grease and installing a new power cord. It runs like a dream.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I debated buying a new machine. Had I it would have been a Mini Max or Hammer. But while I was researching them I found a Mini Max FS35 14" J/P in beautiful condition for less than you would pay for the Grizzly 12" J/P. It was a bear to get it down into my basement shop but required no repair or refurbishment other than cleaning off some dirt and grease and installing a new power cord. It runs like a dream.

John
    Well sure if I can find a used one for a great price then I will certainly look at that. I can count on 1 hand the number of times a 12"+ combo machine has shown up on Craigslist in the last 6 years.

Plus I really want a machine with a segmented cutter head.
    Not allowed

I might have been lucky, but I've seen 3 Mini Max FS35 machines for sale in the last month. One was for sale here, and has sold. The other two were on E-bay, and I bought one of them in a private deal after no one bid on it. The other didn't sell either, and was relisted last I looked. You have to look beyond your local Craigslist and be willing to travel some if you want one. The price I paid justified going 5 hours to get it. I was thinking about putting on a spiral head too, and the price I paid accounted for that additional cost, but my results so far have been so good that I'm putting off that decision.

John

So no insider information??
    Not allowed

I think there's a review of that particular machine over on the Lumberjocks forum.

The original poster was asking if there was a larger version coming out. That I don't know, but one would imagine some mighty long tables.
    I have one (go634xp) and it works well. I use it just as a jointer, as I use my lunchbox planer.
    I have a hammer bandsaw as well. Don't see much difference in quality between the two. I wouldn't wait to find a used hammer that's for sure.

Baileigh has 16" and 18" Jointer/planers available right now. I believe they are also a supporter of the Creek. They are 220v/3 ph machines though.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.