Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laminate or Engineered flooring?

A buddy of mine has a flooring business and swears by the the engineered flooring. More stable than solid wood. The finishes nowadays are tough too. The biggest thing, according to him, is the softness of the wood. Birch is common on the lower end and easily scratches and dents. He recommends a hard species, especially if you have big dogs. This goes for solid wood too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    A buddy of mine has a flooring business and swears by the the engineered flooring. More stable than solid wood. The finishes nowadays are tough too. The biggest thing, according to him, is the softness of the wood. Birch is common on the lower end and easily scratches and dents. He recommends a hard species, especially if you have big dogs. This goes for solid wood too.
    John, what brand does your buddy recommend? I've looked at tons, but it's hard to find one with a significant wear layer that can be refinished a couple of times.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W Pugh View Post
    John, what brand does your buddy recommend? I've looked at tons, but it's hard to find one with a significant wear layer that can be refinished a couple of times.
    Good question. I'll be watching for answers. I thought you could only refinish engineered one time?

The ones around here tend to have a top hardwood layer of only maybe 4mm - and that's the good ones...

I plan to replace my carpet with some laminate. Certainly doesn't look as good, and I don't like it near as much, but I have to little kids, a big chocolate lab, and my house is the middle of the road, blue collar home - nothing fancy. I plan to be in the home a few more years, and then put it up as a rental. Laminate will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Good question. I'll be watching for answers. I thought you could only refinish engineered one time?
    I was looking at a youtube video about 6 months ago, and the guy was showing engineered flooring that had a 1/4 wear layer. It was a generic video about flooring and he never mentioned the manufacturer. This is the quality I'm looking for, IF it's cheaper than solid wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stein View Post
    I plan to be in the home a few more years, and then put it up as a rental. Laminate will be just fine.
    Plan to replace it after the tenants destroy it.