Thread: Source for Acacia wood or substitute...

Source for Acacia wood or substitute...

A friend has asked me to help build a piece to match his daughter's Acacia wood dining furniture. My initial search for availability of Acacia in the Kansas City area yielded no results. It would be greatly appreciated iff someone knows of a local source, or can suggest an appropriate substitute lumber.

Thanks,
    Andy Haney

Last time I was in oregon i saw lots of Acacia,I think is also called myrtle.It will be a hard wood to match.If it has that smoky look. Alder would be my closet guess.

Acacia often shows up on SF Bay Craigslist, perhaps someone would ship some to you.
    -Howard

Acacia is not a single species, but rather a whole family of plants. For instance, there's koa (from Hawaii), which is brown. There's Australian blackwood, which is darker brown-black. And I've seen furniture described as acacia which was straw-colored. So matching the daughter's furniture is going to be a headache. I'd aim for some species which you can readily find in your local lumberyard.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 10-21-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks for the responses so far folks. I'll let my friend know and see what we can do.

Andy