Thread: D-23 handle replacement

D-23 handle replacement

I came into a user quality Disston D-23 that had a broken, weathered handle. Decided to make my third saw handle to replace it. I used the only large enough slab of apple I had.

D-23 plates have a rounded top back that fits in a radiused slot. I made a hand saw especially to make that radiused cut.

All I've got.

JimD23 handle slot tool.JPGDisston D23 handle finished jcd (1).JPG
    Last edited by Jim Davis; 10-23-2015 at 2:52 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wow Jim, looks great. Thanks for posting your solution to the problem of cutting the saw handle to fit the curve.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

+1 Looks good.

Very nicely done Jim.

Stewie;

Very nicely done. I take it the old handle was still in good enough condition to use as a template for the profile and hole locations, right? If not, how did you match the hole pattern to the saw blade? Make a paper template from the blade? Just curious how to best do that

I used a handle from a different D-23 for the outline and just used the saw plate for the hole pattern, since those were the holes I needed to hit.

How did you cut the leaf pattern on the handle? Did you use a gouge, or chip carving?

Do you know why Disston and so many use apple for handles? I started a handle for my D23 in a block of maple before I was exposed to historic info or other people's saw builds. Is there something inferior about maple for this type of handle, other than historical accuracy?

Your completed project looks awesome, especially the wheat detail.

Matt, I don't know why Disston and others used apple for handles. The Forest Products Laboratories says apple is difficult to split, which would be an advantage in strength of the horns. Disston also used beech through out the company's history. This is the first time I have used apple, and it was the only piece I had that was big enough.

Andrew, I made a gouge to cut the wheat kernels. The curve of the edge cuts the sides of the kernels. The lip of the edge is also curved a little like a round point shovel, so it cuts deeper in the middle than at the edges. I made it from a scrap of another hand saw plate. It is concave, has no handle. It's about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. With the gouge tilted away from the kernal, one rap with a hammer cuts all or most of one side. (The cut is across the kernel, not lengthwise.) Sometimes a little cleanup is needed.

Jim

Very nice work....good job.
    Jerry

Outstanding job.

Blog Entries
    Andrew, I made a gouge to cut the wheat kernels. The curve of the edge cuts the sides of the kernels. The lip of the edge is also curved a little like a round point shovel, so it cuts deeper in the middle than at the edges. I made it from a scrap of another hand saw plate. It is concave, has no handle. It's about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide.
    Is a picture possible?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Andrew, I made a gouge to cut the wheat kernels. The curve of the edge cuts the sides of the kernels. The lip of the edge is also curved a little like a round point shovel, so it cuts deeper in the middle than at the edges. I made it from a scrap of another hand saw plate. It is concave, has no handle. It's about 3 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. With the gouge tilted away from the kernal, one rap with a hammer cuts all or most of one side. (The cut is across the kernel, not lengthwise.) Sometimes a little cleanup is needed.

Jim
    Thanks, I appreciate the details. you did a great job.

I too would love to see a picture of this. I call brilliant on the idea.