Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBN Wheel Shroud

CBN Wheel Shroud

I have recently gone to CBN wheels with shrouds removed on my 8" grinder. Thing is, the metal filings produced fly everywhere and are just another mess to clean up. At the Phoenix National symposium, I seem to remember seeing a grinder fitted with shrouds over the CBN wheels but have been unable to find any info on it. I'm thinking that shrouds incorporating magnets would go a long way to contain the filings. Anyone have any knowledge of a grinder with CBN wheel shrouds?

I put magnets in ziplock bags around the CBN wheel.
    Take the magnet out of the ziplock and the fillings fall off.
    Magnets inside a shroud would be really hard to clean off.

BTW, breathing those fillings is not healthy
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

There is a similar thread over at WC. One turner talked about building a 'plenum' around his grinder, so that would be a box type shroud. The magnets help, but the fine metal particle dust really floats around a wide area. I don't like shop vacs because of the noise level. Not sure how running the shop dust collector would work as I would be turning it off and on a lot. Slow speed suction with a fine filter bag. There was one comment about the metal particles potential to cause problems if they get inside the motor...

robo hippy

4. I have this grinder and it has shrouds and works well with both my 80 grit and 180 grit 1.5" wide CBN wheels..........very smooth and very quiet also........no wobble and runs very true.
    http://www.circlesaw.com/sanders-and-grinders/steel-city-tools-15430-8-industrial-slow-speed-bench-grinder/

Also industrial rated!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The Steel City grinder looks great - a member in our club has one. Unfortunately, you can't buy them anymore.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    The Steel City grinder looks great - a member in our club has one. Unfortunately, you can't buy them anymore.

Steve
    I bought my Rikon about a month ago because I couldn't find a Steel City available. I remember Roger posting positively about the SC awhile back. Maybe 2 months ago, I saw a couple that were still available on either ebay or amazon but not any longer. The Woodcraft store in Harrisburg, PA had 1 in stock when I bought the Rikon on 9/29. The Rikon was 170 and I had already rung up my order when I discovered they had the SC unit but it was 100 bucks more. I think the into price for the Rikon ends today and then goes up to 220 bucks. Call around to Woodcraft stores in your area and you might find an orphan SC unit.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post

Steve
    some places still have some in stock.....just have to search. I got mine off ebay, but there are a few around. the link I posted above adds it to the cart, and gives a paypal option to pay.......I would try that.....$299 same price I paid, and it is an industrial rated machine, with premium bearings, etc
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 10-23-2015 at 2:51 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    I have this grinder and it has shrouds and works well with both my 80 grit and 180 grit 1.5" wide CBN wheels..........very smooth and very quiet also........no wobble and runs very true.
    http://www.circlesaw.com/sanders-and-grinders/steel-city-tools-15430-8-industrial-slow-speed-bench-grinder/
    Thanks, that is just what I am looking for! Circle Saw apparently still has some available so I jumped on it. At 75 lbs. that puppy looks like a real beast.
    Last edited by Rich Boehlke; 10-23-2015 at 2:50 PM.

I moved my grinder to a counter top to raise so that its spindle was closer to the height of my lathe spindle. I am thinking of cutting down the long arm of the wolverine jig as I do not use it in the extended mode. That would allow me to set something like this behind it.

I would possibly build my own so that I can use commonly available filters. I need one for my area where I use the micro-motor and dremel grinders too, and this could do double duty.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I put 1/4" plywood spacers between the cover and the bell. The grinder is a 1hp 3400 Jet. I laid the plywood down and set the cover on it. Traced the cover and marked the holes. Trimmed the plywwd to clear the wheel. And screwed it back on. You could paint it black and most wouldn't notice. I got the Jet for $219 with free shipping. Wheels spin up quick and the extra speed just gets me back turning faster.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

One tip on the baggy magnet method, don't have it to close to the wheel, the filings can be hot and melt the baggy, no problem as to fire hazard, just allowed metal now to get on the magnet, which is a pain to clean.

You my want to look at Amazon for the blowers. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00 I purchase a fixer upper which was a PSI version and these fans were direct replacements. I use this dust collector for power carving. I think three fans are used to get the correct suction.

i bought a regular slow speed grinder fo $80.74 in 2005........something is wrong with the pricing on grinders today......I wonder what Wally paid?????????

Got my 1750RPM Woodcraft in 09 or 10 for $85.00 with free shipping, still going strong. I sharpen quite a bit but just touch the wheel without grinding a lot of metal away and don't have many filings to worry about. Vacuum them up every month or two, no problems.

I simply mounted my CBN grinder inside a "Big Gulp" which has a 2" adapter on the back. That goes to my shop-vac instead of the DC system, for faster airflow. For fire-safety from hot particles, I added a metal screen just before the hose connector, though this is probably not really needed.

I was going to also add hinged plexiglass shields on top, but due to the low speed of the grinder, this isn't necessary.

FWIW, I now use the same "station" for soldering, as it sucks away the lead & rosin fumes.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 10-26-2015 at 12:46 AM.