Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rasps - Help Required

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rasps - Help Required

Hi!

I have a Nicholson 6" Knife Bastard File. I guess I got mixed up with the terminology and thought "bastard" meant really rough cut but this is a really fine (at least to me anyway) cut tool. I remember my Dad's rasps (really big S.O.Bs. that I guess they don't make anymore, at least not that I can find) and he always told me that "bastard" was the roughest cut, which is what I want.

Do they have a Pattern Makers Cabinet Rasp that is the same shape as this "knife file"?

I searched with google but am not having any luck.

Also, anyone know where I can get the really big wood rasps on-line?

I remember my dad had some that were probably 18" long, 2 to 3" wide and could take your hand off if you weren't careful. Like I said above, I am not sure they even make them anymore.

Thanks,

James

I don't know that much about shaping wood as I'm in the middle of my first project requiring such.

I used Microplane brand rasps for heavy stock removal followed by regular mill files and then sandpaper abrasives. Quick working and inexpensive. For traditionally designed rasps, I keep hearing Aurio (sp?) makes the best. Joel sells them as well as Japanwoodworker.com and I'm sure there must be other retailers.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I have severa that used to belong to my Dad but I'm not going to part with them...
    I goggled Woodworkers rasps and found a whole lot of them. Here is a link to get ya started.

http://www.tools-plus.com/merbcom08.html

Thanks!

About the "knife" one. Do they make a wood knife rasp?

James

I have a Nicolson 49 and a 50 they are bigger..
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I have a Nicolson 49 and a 50 they are bigger..
    Jamestown Distributors occasionally has Nicholson #49 & #50 rasps on sale for less than $30 ea. These are nice rasps and cut stock very fast.
    Michael in San Jose
    Non confundar in aeternam

Auriou has a large selection of rasps, from small fine model makers rasps right up to some that remove wood at a scary rate.On the less agressive ones the finish is beautiful. I've been using them for a little over a year now. Before I was using Nicholson 49's and 50's. I thought they were great until I tried the Aurious.

The drawback to them is the price, but you get what you pay for. I have 7 Aurious and don't regret a penny spent. Just think of the difference between a box store smoothing plane and a Veritas or Lie-Nielsen. I would suggest that you talk to Joel about what you want to do with a rasp and he'll suggest which ones you need.

Brent

Will check out the Auriou ones.

Have a link for Joel?

Thanks,

James

Quote Originally Posted by James Farrow
    Will check out the Auriou ones.

Have a link for Joel?

Thanks,

James
    James, They are cheaper here.

http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/files_rasps.htm
    Dennis

10. And now for those predisposed to having too many raspy things:http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...16&cat=51&ap=1

And Rob knows I have a problem ...

Mike

rasp handedness

Handed? I am new to all things wood, still poking and prodding for information while creating little of use - let alone value, and looked at the Auriou rasp link. It mentioned that they were "handed" - right or left. What would be the difference so far as a rasp is concerned?

This rasp is designed to be pushed in a stroke that is straight, bot with the rasp held at a slight angle. For one who is RH, that means that that handle side would be to the left, and the tip to the right. Reverse that for a lefty. I only know this from a discussion with Joel. I am a righty.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I have a shinto. To me it is for really rough work, even with the fine side.

It looks like hacksaw blades on edge. I like the 49 and 50, Jamestown Distributors has them on sale a lot for about half price.

I can't imagine needing a coarser rasp than a 49. It leaves fairly substantial gouges that have to be removed with finer rasps. I have a very coarse Nicholson half round rasp that really takes off large chunks, but you have to be very careful about grain orientation or you get tearout. I think I'd use a drawknife, spokeshave or bandsaw if I neded really hog off a large amount of wood. I have three progressively finer Arious that I use to smooth the shaping done with the 49. They are very nice rasps but are pricey. For me they will probably be once in a life time purchases.
    Dennis