Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pole Barn

Great to here!! Get those posts in virgin ground. No fill.

A couple other thought starters.

Join garagejournal forums now

Are you doing radiant heat? Even if no, put the pex in for later - google blueridgecompany dot com and look up their pex and manifold pole barn package. You want the RHT Pole Heating package with Pex B tubing and manifold. The RHT-PB-1800-B-1/2 kit is $720. You can't hardly add it later. Once you buy it tell Blue Ridge to send you a pex layout plan - tell them on what wall and where you want the manifold. You want those six loops to be as close to equal length as you can make them and have as close to 9" spacing as you can have.

What about 2" extruded polystrene high density foam under the pad? Start looking for foam deals on craigslist now. You need 50 sheets. From the borg it gets pricey quick.

Tyvek tape - buy a 6 pack of rolls off ebay - cheapest place I have found it.

I also like Mesh-Ups concrete mesh support chairs. Google them. 1/2" pex is 5/8" OD. I bought 2" mesh ups. that left me plenty of room in my 5" concrete to do a 1.5" expansion cut. These things are sweet and ensure you pex is in the middle of teh slab and they do not break and crush when walked on. You want them every two feet. After I had my concrete guy order them he sells them routinely now. He had never used them before my pour.

Also if you have ever had the desire to pull against your concrete - like for a car or pulling something heavy off a trailer - check out the Champ Anchor Pull Pots at autobodytoolmart dot com. Also get the Instant floor plate for them for new floor install. Again something much easier to install in a new floor especially one with pex in it.

Id suggest a few pieces of conduit and PVC through the floor as well for things like electrical, any drains, water lines, etc.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Oh no! You have just about inspired me to get off my lazy backside and get going on my second pole barn. I did all the dirt work and compacted gravel years about 5 years ago, built the road, and ran water/power so it's ready to put up the poles. This one is 30x60, 12' ceiling with big doors for equipment storage, horse stalls, indoor grooming, tack room, hay and wood storage, and beekeeping/honey room. I've designed with 6x6 posts, prebuilt trusses, and metal skin. I do all the work myself, including the dirt and concrete prep which saves a bunch of money (I have tractor/backhoe and bobcat). I always build with 3 in 12 pitch here in TN, galvalum over OSB - MUCH easier to walk on. (Note: if you are able, you can save a LOT of money by hauling PT posts and dimensional lumber directly from the pressure treaters. There are two pressure treaters a few hours up the road from me.) The materials for this building price out at about $6/sq ft including trusses and steel but not including the crane rental, concrete pour, and roll-up doors. I do everything else including wiring so the labor is free!

There are Amish builders near here who were going to put this building up for me but they were so busy I finally gave up on them.

On the other hand, my 24x62 shop was closer to $25/sq ft complete, built with a crew of one (me) except I hired a crane to set trusses and pour/surface the concrete. But this is a finished building, includeing 7" insulated walls, full 1/2" paneling, heat and air conditioning, ethernet/WiFi, wood and meta working, electric bay door openers, plumbed for compressed air, DC ducts above the ceiling, 100 amps underground, etc. Built with 6x6 PT posts and 3x10 beams. BTW, I welded rebar on 24" centers in the main shop and 12" centers in the bays. Three years later there is not one crack in the concrete. Took me a month to do the dirt work then I let it set for a year for good measure.

A real problem with metal roofing is the loss of cell signal, especially if it's weak to start with. Phone service was worthless in my shop until I could buy a personal cell tower, a femtocell. Hooks up to broadband - never heard of such a thing! Now it's full bars all the time.

I love putting up new or modifying a building. There is a huge sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when it starts to come together. And you can never have too many buildings...

My new shop floorplan, in case anyone is interested, now getting a lot of use!:
    shop_floorplan2_flat_s.jpg

Please post pictures as your's goes up!

JKJ

Was going to suggest you put a lean to on the building to house your sawmill, and build it with a big header so you can saw inside the lean to. Hire someone with insurance to do your erection.

I just love the phrase: "I need another building." Can one ever have enough buildings? I hope the project goes well.

I built my 40x40x12 pole barn using a kit from Hansen Pole Buildings. They're a "mail order" company with an internet presence and they specialize in "do it yourself" pole barn kits. They drew up the plans based on my requirements and spec'd the trusses, etc. and provided an excellent set of construction drawings and a "manual" for each step of the way. They contract with local lumberyard and truss manufacturers and have it all delivered to your site. Metal was delivered from a company in Oklahoma.

Cost for the kit was quite reasonable compared to local lumberyard kits and the construction was not particularly difficult (I hired out the concrete flat work but did everything else myself with help from my brother and son.) The scariest part was setting the trusses, but I pre-built assemblies on the ground complete with purlins between pairs of trusses and had a crane come in and set them into place, took less than an hour and the cost was around $300. And it saved hours of being on top of a scaffold trying to nail it all together.

No idea what my final cost per square foot is (and I don't want to know), but the concrete floor cost probably 80% as much as the kit.

There's a lot of things I'd do differently now - my original design didn't include insulation or interior finish on the walls or ceiling (meaning the trusses weren't engineered for the weight). So after the first winter when I realized it would be too cold to work, I had the company re-do the engineering and provide a procedure for adding support so I could install a sheetrock ceiling. I also didn't insulate under the concrete floor and realize now that I'm spending a good chunk of my heating bill to heat the ground under the barn. And my electrical layout should have been done much differently -- no matter how many circuits and outlets you've designed, you'll need more. I laid out 2 20-amp circuits that alternated between outlets along the outside wall. What I should have done was to install 2-gang boxes and had both circuits at each outlet, and then ran a total of 4 20-amp circuits instead of just the two....

Well……….. I think I win the award for the most indecisive person here on SMC. I am going to cancel the order for the pole barn. The installer's price DOUBLED after I purchased the building, as compared to the first time I met with him, and he is failing to respond to me to explain why. He also does not have insurance (thanks Jim A.)

I was supposed to get 30% off the building price on a Black Friday special, and I don't think they honored it.

The dirt work guy has a lot on his plate, and with wet ground, there's no telling when he could build my pad. If this winter is anything like last winter, we won't have dry ground until May, and I don't want the materials (lumber and trusses) to deteriorate waiting for a pad to be built.

It was a painful process getting this building ordered. I didn't find out I was getting engineered trusses until I showed up last Friday morning to purchase the kit. My prior understanding was the trusses would be built on site. As such, I had no input into the design process, and they weren't designed for a ceiling, so that I could add insulation - primarily to keep the noise down inside the metal wrap of the building. There was a line of about 10 people behind me at the lumberyard counter, and I was feeling pressured to "move along" and not go over the details of the building. Again, that was the first time I had seen the details of the specs. I had had several calls and several face-to-face meeting with my sales guy, but I had never been handed his version of what I had communicated to him until that morning. He took liberty with several of the design aspects that I would not have chosen.

Ugg. I'm so frustrated. I didn't sleep all night. I called this AM to make sure the building was on hold and suppliers had not been given the "go ahead", and they hadn't. I'll go after work and get my refund.

The good news here… is that I have a sawmill, and I have access to a skid steer, and I think I'll be happiest by doing this myself.

Back to the drawing board. Aaaaarrrgggg.

I've ordered a load of post oaks logs that I can use for posts for this pole barn. Should be here tomorrow. I have a buddy with a Prentice loader truck that can unload them. Should be between 26 and 30 tons of post oaks, 16'6" long with a minimum of 10" tops. This is my first time to buy logs. I hope it is a good experience.

My neighbors are going to love me.

Got my logs, and then some. Only needed around 22, but got 49. My buddy who brought his loader truck over to unload the log truck, was in hurry to unload them. That made for some pretty tricky maneuvers with the skid steer/grapple to de-rat-nest that pile safely.

Log truck arrived about 9:30am, and at 12:42pm, I was done.

IMG_2246.jpg IMG_2247.jpg IMG_2267.jpg IMG_2268.jpg

IMG_2270.jpg IMG_2271.jpg IMG_2272.jpg IMG_2273.jpg

Blog Entries
    Those are some stout logs. Strength will not be a problem. How do you deal with the crookedness & large variation in diameter of the logs? Cut notches? Really big shims?

The pole barns I've seen use turned poles that are pretty consistent.

I have a sawmill. I'll cut 6x6 (or some 8x8) posts out of them. I may cut the couple crooked ones in half and cut lumber from those.

Hey Todd. Seems you've been on quite the adventure with this building. Hope everything is going in the right direction for you now. Subscribed for updates!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You manhandled all those logs yourself, Mr. Paul Bunyan?! Impressive!

How do you go about drying them or will they sit there for a spell or what ???
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    You manhandled all those logs yourself, Mr. Paul Bunyan?! Impressive!

How do you go about drying them or will they sit there for a spell or what ???
    Yes, I handled them all by myself… with a skid steer and a grapple!

They will have a chance to air dry some after they are cut, but my intent is to use them however green they are. They really won't change in height. I expect some surface cracks. No big deal - they are white oak.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    Hey Todd. Seems you've been on quite the adventure with this building. Hope everything is going in the right direction for you now. Subscribed for updates!
    Thanks Terry - good to see you again!

I would get those posts squared up before the cracks get deep in those logs!