Thread: Value of a few tools

Question Value of a few tools

Hello all,
    I'm fairly new to the neander scene but I figure there is always room for more human powered tools to my shop.

I recently picked up some tools from a friend who was helping a friend of theirs clear out their father's storage units after he passed away. The guy had been a general contractor before retiring about 20 years ago, and unbeknownst to his children had multiple large storage units full of tools, hardware, and other assorted junk. As payment for helping them clean out the storage units my friend got several pickup truck loads of tools, and I got first pick before he put them up on Craigslist.

Here's some of what I picked up, and I'm hoping that you all might help me to put a (very rough) value on these. My friend isn't giving them to me for free but will give me a serious discount off of what I think is fair market value. I'm NOT selling them, so hopefully this type of post is OK in here.

A big Wilton 10x4 woodworking vise with about 12" of travel:
    Attachment 324129
    Needs a lot of cleaning and a good coat of paint, but it's really solid. (Now I need a decent bench to hang it from!) I'm not anywhere close to knowing what it's worth. I see Wilton vises on eBay going for anywhere from $40 to $250, though most aren't in as rough shape as this one. I haven't been able to find so much as a picture of one that looks similar to this one (casting and font), so I'm wondering if it's one of their really early models.

A Craftsman #7C equivalent from the 50s (?), possibly made by Sargent. This one is probably in the worst shape in terms of rust, and I may not end up restoring it unless it is super rare (doubtful):
    Attachment 324130
    $20?

Three block planes (two 60½ and one 9½) in decent usable condition, though the black 60½ will need a new iron soon since it's almost worn out:
    Attachment 324131
    I figure $15-$20 each? Also, has anybody seen a 9½ like this before with a knob holding on the lever cap (that doesn't have a lever)? Under the knob it doesn't even have a keyhole like I'd expect to see, just a round hole for the stud that the knob screws into to poke through. Common, uncommon? Most of the ones I've seen on Google Images have the usual keyhole and machine screw.

And a couple more #4 and #5 Stanleys, both type 16 as far as I can tell:
    Attachment 324132
    $30 each?

Those planes are sitting on top of a box set of Irwin augers from 1961, identical to this one (including the instruction booklet, but missing the 7/8" bit):
    Attachment 324134
    These are also all over the place on eBay, lowest I saw was $20, and as high as $140, so I have no idea.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Let me know if you want more pics, different angles, closeups, that kind of thing.
    Last edited by Garth Almgren; 10-27-2015 at 6:05 PM. Reason: Trying to get the images to show up.
    ~Garth

Blog Entries
    For some reason your images do not show up for me, but they do when I do a reply and look at a Preview.

Maybe my old computer is in need of an upgrade.

The #7 is in much better shape than what became my regular user of a #7:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ker-to-Jointer

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Vise: They are around $175 new, so $75 is a good deal. If it is not a quick release, then $50. Unless you really need it.
    C'man plane: Pass or make a scrub plane out of it = $10.
    Block planes: $15-30
    Stanley planes: $25 - 30
    Augers: I picked up a set for $40 and thought I did ok.

Very subjective I don't need any of these tools that is what dictates price.
    These are what I think are max prices I would pay if he's a buddy, then go from there.

They are all fair prices. The craftsman price is low IMHO. It will clean up well and make a nice jointer. There is no way I'd try and make a scrub out of a #7, or a plane in that good of shape.

The 60 1/2 is one of my favorite block planes. Picked mine up for about $20

Here's my $.02 The vise is worth about $50 max. It needs some work and it appears to not be a quick release. The Craftsman #7 is worth $20 at the absolute max in its current condition. The block planes are worth about $10 each. The maroon planes are not Stanleys best work. They aren't as bad as the blue ones, but they're not great planes. Plus, the one 60 1/2 looks to be missing the part to do the adjusting. The maroon planes are probably worth about $10 each. The Irwin auger bits look to be the most valuable item. That set is worth $50 easily. Do yourself a huge favor and check to make sure the auger bits are straight. I've got a couple sets in my shop that look beautiful but someone bent some of the bits.

For what it is worth, I basically agree with Dave. I was thinking about $150ish, with the vice and the auger bits being the best items. I have read negative things about the later model Stanley planes, but have never owned one, so I may be undervaluing them. I have some old craftsman tools (brace, hand drills) that are really good quality (basically indistinguishable from the similar Millers Falls model except for the markings), but I am not sure about that plane, and would not give much for it without looking it over closely and knowing it was decent quality.

Look at the bits carefully. If they have been improperly sharpened they can cause problems. If you do a search on here for help sharpening an auger bit you should come up with some that will identify the major potential problems.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the input!
    ~Garth

Don't let people discourage you ie: the Craftsman plane. While not as good as an early Stanley, it can be made to function well as a jointer. A plane is a tool to hold a blade. Make the blade sharp, bed it well and adjust so the mouth is small and it will perform. The toe, mouth and heel has to be on the same exact plane (level). The value $20 max is probably right, a Prada purse costs near a grand and yet you can buy a very nice purse for less than a hundred dollars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)