Thread: MLB broken bats

Blog Entries

MLB broken bats

I've been watching the World Series and I've seen quite a few broken bats. It looks to me like the grain isn't straight. But in reading up on broken bats, Loiseville Slugger takes pride in straight grain. Wouldn't it be better to rive the wood when you make the billets?

Anybody out there make bats? do you rive the wood?

Blog Entries
    My understanding of the problem is that the trees available now for making bats have grown quickly and have large annual growth rings as compared to trees that were use 20 years or more ago. The less dense wood coupled with modern bat designs where most of the weight is in the barrel leaves the handles thin, which leads to more breakage. Find a bat that is more than 20 years old and count the annual rings and compare that number to a modern bat of the same diameter and you will see a significant difference.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Today half of the bats are from northern white ash and half from maple according to Louisville Sluggers. Also, bats today have a larger barrel and thinner handle.

could be they hundred-mile an hour fastballs they are throwing these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    could be they hundred-mile an hour fastballs they are throwing these days.
    Bob Feller could

Blog Entries
    This seems to answer part of my question.

http://www.bearvalleybats.com/

These folks definitely have a point of view about what woods should be used and maple isn't it. They claim to make better bats than Louiseville Slugger makes for the pros. They like hickory and ash. They claim that the frequent broken bats are usually maple.

Blog Entries
    Today half of the bats are from northern white ash and half from maple according to Louisville Sluggers.
    These folks definitely have a point of view about what woods should be used and maple isn't it.
    Many sources have said maple is the culprit in the broken bat increase. Maple is a more shattery wood than ash. The ash borer beetle has pretty much ended the source of a good wood.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maple is a more shattery wood than ash.

jtk
    Indeed, maple bats are more dangerous than ash bats because, when they break, they often tend to "explode" and let loose sharp shards whereas the ash bats usually crack and remain in one piece. When the ash bats do break in two pieces it's usually at the handle where it just breaks off or the bat will split long-wise along the grain. It's the unpredictable grain of maple that makes it dangerous.
    Last edited by Yonak Hawkins; 11-01-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly, maple bats were popularized by Barry Bonds. Before that, most bats were ash.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    maple bats were popularized by Barry Bonds...
    And he wonders why he can't get into the Hall.
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

A few bats made of ironwood would stand up to the fast pitches.

Blog Entries
    Maybe a bit heavy. The sweet spot is finding the right length to weight ratio with proper resiliancy. College bats are aluminum. There is a ratio of weight to length that the must conform (if I rember correctly within 4 of ounces to length in inches). You can buy bats at better ratios and the hit much farther.

The best bats are as heavy as you can get your maximum speed on your swing with as much length as possible. More weight = slower bat speed = less distance and less able to get around on the fastball.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"