Thread: Auction finds

Auction finds

I can't resist auctions, and I'm a toolaholic. There. I said it. Anyway I hadn't seen any good old chisels for sale anywhere in about a year and a half. So yesterday I went to an auction and my dry spell ended. I also bought some brace bits just to get the box. There were 2 lakeside, 1 winchester and the rest are greenlee. The sale was in a dark machine shed so I could barely read anything on the tools. I picked up 5 W.Butcher lathe chisels made in Sheffield England. Next was a Jackson back saw with split nuts and open handle. I got 3 hand planes. N0 4C stanley with a SW blade. It will clean up to be a good user. Got a very clean #6 and a basket case 4 1/2 that had no tote, lever cap or knob which I happened to have on hand. Last I bought a 280 scraper with a SH blade. All in all a good day for me. Found an adjustable marking gauge too.auction finds 008.jpgauction finds 009.jpgauction finds 011.jpg

Blog Entries
    Looks like a nice haul.

I need to get out more often.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    George:

There are never any auctions around me that would yield anything like you picked up - nicely done!!

Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post
    George:

There are never any auctions around me that would yield anything like you picked up - nicely done!!

Dave B
    +1 Good Stuff!

I envy the W. Butcher lathe tools. Been slowly collecting Butcher items for many years, and have one nice gouge and skew. Wish I had more.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

The Butcher lathe tools cleaned up very nice. Now I need to sharpen them and turn some chisel handles.