Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hancock Shaker Workbench

That too.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

I received the Benchcraft plans today and they are excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone. Now I just need to learn how to read them .

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    I received the Benchcraft plans today and they are excellent. I'd recommend them to anyone. Now I just need to learn how to read them .
    May I ask if you started this project? I am looking to start a Shaker Bench in the next few weeks/month. Just need a very sturdy base and some room between the bench bottom and case area to use holdfasts.
    If you did start this how do you like it?

Don

Why do you need a 'cut list' for such a simple design? No tail vise, no hold downs. It's just a substantial chest of drawers with a thick top.
    You will want to modify the size and height for your needs and space anyway. The drawers seem to be the main appeal of the bench. The shakers were renown for 'a place for everything', the bench part seems secondary.

I remember that Glen (who built the PopWood one) would remove the top drawers when he wanted to use holdfasts. A bit of a workaround, but it indeed worked.

Blog Entries

That's a better bench with a tail vise and real dogs. They don't provide a cut list for the reasons given; quite right too!
    One plus for the chest of drawers approach is little lateral or longitudinal movement of the bench, however most floors are far from level which may lead to some serious issues.

I think a workbench needs to accommodate you own personal needs as to size and style, this small bench needed to fit in the largest room of my cabin/5th wheel. The bench is only about 4 feet long and the room is 10x12 on the other side of pass through is the kitchen sink.
    Having looked at what others were building I borrowed what I thought was necessary to fill my needs. I think a rough sketch was made but that was all subject to change as the project moved along depending what materials were available at the time, so a cut list would not have worked for me. I have found that after many years as a builder and a carpenter you need to be flexible because things don't always work out as planed and then you go to plan F "F@#$ it" and do it real time.

Just my take on plans and cut lists and them too, cultists!
    Rick
    IMG_2389[1].jpg

Blog Entries
    That is a neat, compact work space. I'm impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    That is a neat, compact work space. I'm impressed.
    Thanks Lowell,
    I use the back end of the trailer for tool storage and have the power tools outside under a tarp/awning for doing the bull work and thats about 10x12 but most of the hand work is done inside. If I can find a pic of the outside I'll post it here.

Rick