Thread: chef specialties pepper grinder kit questions

chef specialties pepper grinder kit questions

This is my first chef specialties PG kit. I am really confused looking at the diagram. I bought a PG and salt kit 12" tall. It shows the bottom recess but doesn't give the diameter or depth. Doesn't mention anywhere the total length of the blanks. Anyone know these measurements?

Thanks much.

Quinn

If it has a shaft and top nut, the key dimension is overall length from the top (when the PG is in the upright position) of the recess to the top of the shaft. The shaft should protrude about 1/4" or half the length of the upper threads. Beyond that, the depth of the recess is arbitrary. Likewise, the position of the cut between the top and bottom pieces is arbitrary, just remember to add 1/4" for a tenon on the top or bottom piece. For the diameter of the recess, measure the diameter of the largest piece and add 1/32" or so.

If no shaft, i.e., Crushgrind-like, just measure the diameter of the insert.

I do mine with 1 5/8 dia. 1/2" recess at the bottom and 1 1/16" through hole. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

You can always cut off the shaft to fit the finished mill. Cut the bottom and peen over so it will stay in the mechanism. For me a 12 inch mill the bottom is 10 inches and the top is 2 inches. Here's an article that will help. http://www.nickcookwoodturner.com/articles.htm Scroll down the list of articles and choose pepper mills.
    Dave Fritz

Salt & Pepper

Before beginning the project rush down to your local bookstore and get a copy of Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Mills, by Chris West. If not available at local bookstore, readily available online. Also, checkout following link. Good luck. - John

http://www.woodstore.net/plans/turni...per-Mills.html

Thanks guys for all our help. I should be able to figure itout from here.

We haven't had a book store in years. That is what amazon is for.

Quinn