Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally Finished a looong project

Finally Finished a looong project

Hi, I've been lurking for quite a while - only made a couple posts. I'm really slow on completeing projects, but finally finished one that I thought might be worthy of some pics. I made this roughly followinga design I saw in "The Toolbox Book" by Jim Tolpin (pg 150). The box itself is made from alder and has my first handcuts dovetails - I thought they turned out pretty decent. (Of course, my motto in the shop is "Close enough"!) The outside from is made from walnut, and the interior is from some soft maple I picked up this spring at $1/bf. This thing presented all sorts of challenges in fitting and design as I go, but it ended up holding 41 tools - not counting the drawer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great use of space and the workmanship is top notch. Certainly something to be proud of! Thanks for sharing it.

Bob

Hey Scott, great project! The DT's look real good to me, as well! What are the total dimensions of that bad boy? Don't load it up too much or it may never make it off the bench!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Hi John - it's about 36" long. I did some research and the size is not unusual for older tool boxes. I recently saw one one Ebay that was just a little larger and weighed over 60 lbs with tools. Yes, it is heavy, but I plan on keeping it on a rolling cart next to my bench. That way I can roll it out and use it while I'm working on a project, and then roll it back partially under the bench to get it out of the way when I'm done. Luckily, I won't have to be hauling it to and from a "job site".

Very nice Scott. I recall that tool box from the book and I think you've done a nice job on yours. Very cool.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Scott,
    VERY nice!

I have a couple of questions regarding this fine toolbox.

The "slot" that holds the backsaws - is it the the full height, or is there a bottom about halfway down the side to hold them up near the upper half of the box?

Is the bottom in one plane, or are the supports for the handle and bottom under the rest of the bottom? (how's THAT for confusing...)

Thanks and again - very nice work!
    Cheers,
    -Mike

Scott, I would be very proud of that! Sure looks like heirloom quality work to me!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weaver
    Scott,
    VERY nice!

I have a couple of questions regarding this fine toolbox.

The "slot" that holds the backsaws - is it the the full height, or is there a bottom about halfway down the side to hold them up near the upper half of the box?

Is the bottom in one plane, or are the supports for the handle and bottom under the rest of the bottom? (how's THAT for confusing...)

Thanks and again - very nice work!
    Cheers,
    -Mike
    Mike, the slot that holds the backsaws has a bottom about half way down the side.

Also, the supports for the handle are under the bottom of the box. In the third and 4th pictures you can kinda see the bridle joints into the bottom "rails". And yes, that was kinda confusing - I read to read that about 3 times...

Great box. NIce neander project. Love that drawer.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Scott,

Great workmanship and fantastic design ideas incorporated into it as well. That is really a neat idea for keeping all the hand tools together.

Excellent craftsmanship in the dovetails!

Thanks for all the kind words gentlemen.

Scott,

Very nice indeed!!! I didn't see the wheels, by the looks of it it looks HEAVY.
    Just kidding. Nice tools too! Bruce

Great looking box Scott. I now about long projects, I've been working on a tool chest for over two years! That'll be a nice hme for your tools.
    Dennis

Nice work Bruce and the DT's look like they were done by a pro. Nice blending of different woods.

Very nice job, Scott!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style