Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air compressor pressure

If the compressor only builds the tank pressure to 110psig, I would (a) increase the turn off pressure of the compressor (perhaps 130-150 psig) and then add a (big) regulator at the machine.

A 60 psig drop in 4 seconds is huge consumption. Tanks are not sized based on psig drop, but air volume supply. A 60 psig drop in 4 seconds is about 25 standard gallons of air or 6 gallons per second. That is really a huge demand. It could be the regulator is undersized and restricting the air flow.

My air compressor has two gauges. One displaying the tank pressure, the other displaying the line pressure. What is your gauge displaying? If it is displaying the line pressure, then the regulator is too small. Which also explains why the recovery is so quick. If it displays the tank pressure, then adding a 30g tank would result in dropping from 110 to 97 psig under the same circumstances (25 standard gallon draw in 4 seconds).
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 11-05-2015 at 12:22 PM.

A 6.3 gallon tank is tiny. You probably need a 30 or at least 20 gallon reserve tank based on your description of what is happening. I see you have 2 options. You can buy a compressor that is adequate for your needs. If the tool changes are not frequent, you can probably get by with your current compressor and a big auxiliary reserve tank that has the necessary reserve capacity. Your little compressor will run a long time to replenish that big tank, but it won't have to do that very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Nicoloudis View Post
    Pressure is being monitored about 1 foot away from the tool, about as close as it can be, and I can watch it build and hold to 110, then it drops off the tool, and the pressure drops to 50, taking about 3-4 seconds to rise back up to 110. In the meantime, the router is programmed to almost immediately go pick up another tool, but the compressor does not have quite enough time in between.

Just 2 cycles, as the compressor has plenty of time to catch up while the router is cutting, before needing to pick up a different tool.

A sure fire way to fix this problem is with a nice($$) screw compressor, but was hoping this could be achieved another way, seeing as how it needs the boost of pressure for such a small amount of time. If an aux tank were an option, how could I calculate the volume of air needed to withstand a 60 psi drop like that?

Also, just for the heck of it, I hooked it up to my 6hp 30 gallon compressor, and it did the same thing.
    This sounds like an air delivery and/or storage issue. No compressor would ever be able to build up from 50psi to 110psi in 2 seconds. One solution would be to mount an auxiliary air tank right next to the equipment. It needs to be sized so that the tank has enough capacity to do the first cycle and still have enough pressure for the second cycle 2 seconds later. You may need large tubing between the tank and the equipment. Small tubing between the tank and compressor should be fine.

I recently replaced my 30 year old Craftsman noise generator pretending to be a compressor. The new one is a California Air Tools. It is much smaller and whisper quiet. My 11 year old daughter suggested using the tank from the old one as an auxiliary storage tank. This would give me a 30 gallon tank with built in wheels. The primary purpose would be to wheel it out to the cars when I am too lazy to unroll the hose.

Steve

It sounds like you need a 2 stage compressor made to operate at 175psi. This should give you the reserve you need to operate at a constant 100psi without dipping below 100psi. Ex. when your chuck closes your reserve tank might drop from 175psi down to 125psi (How big is this chuck anyway? What is the volume of the cylinders of the chuck?) then your compressor will kick in and start pumping back up to 175psi. Your supply will never dip below 100psi.

Wow, thanks guys, lots to think about.

Compressor is right next to machine, with a short line. I would say the hoses on the machine are at least 3/8, but the lines going from compressor to the machine are only 1/4.

Garth, yes am checking into slowing the tool change down, as this is an option.

Sean, Yes this is exactly the type of set up the machine has. Draw bar releases the tool, pressure drops to 60, compressor kicks on but the machine is already ready for more air to pick up the next tool. Draw bar doesnt open up all the way, essentially crashing the Z of the machine causing a fault code. The compressor cycles for about 15 seconds, but by then it's too late.

Because the cycle time to recover after the first tool change is quick, this leads me closer to the idea that maybe the lines/regulator(1/4) going from the compressor to the machine are inadequate, while the lines from the side of the machine to the tool head are stock, and surely up to par. Maybe the restriction in volume is being choked by the smaller lines. I do know that while this machine was under power at my last shop with a huge compressor, this was never an issue.

Steve,
    yes, the one currently powering it (or not powering it) is a CA air tools model. Love them, but might not be up to the job no matter how big the lines are. I guess at this point I can try bigger lines, unless of course the compressor fittings will not allow this.

Mike,
    Maybe 2 stage is the way to go as well, I am going to research them a bit now

Thank You guys!!

You need to monitor the pressure at the compressor. If it drops to 60 psi there then a bigger hose will do absolutely nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    You need to monitor the pressure at the compressor. If it drops to 60 psi there then a bigger hose will do absolutely nothing for you.
    That is key. Which air pressure is dropping to 60psi? The tank or the regulator outlet? With that information, we/I can provide some more options.

Pressure is being monitored at the machine head. Will check pressure at the compressor next.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Nicoloudis View Post
    Pressure is being monitored at the machine head. Will check pressure at the compressor next.
    Yes please.

If you have enough pressure (or can build more) in the tank and the pressure at the machine is dropping, it may be showing us the regulator is too small. (the 1/4" hose isn't going to help either).

We had this problem when the CNC was new at work, much bigger compressor but machine was almost picking up then dropping heads at the tool change, turns out it was in routines where the swap was quick, like head one for head 2. Its a 10 head tool change so if it had to travel further it didn't do it. Solution was simply to increase the lag between tool changes a few seconds, problem solved at the programming end. Certainly no harm in upgrading your air system to high flow components, make sure you have a good air dryer in line and that its a high flow device as well as the regulator, those should all have the specs listed if they are decent quality. You can power it with a 30CFM screw jack bit if the regulator it passes through is only capable of allowing 8cfm...you will get 8cfm. Kind of like getting a 4000CFM dust collector to pull a 4" hose.....
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

The country known as Washington (a/k/a The State of Washington)
    Go with the in-line reserve tank others suggested. All you need is a hose and one, two or three after market tanks connected by hoses and you've upped the capacity of your compressor. One nice thing about this approach is, they can be secured out of the way without complication.

If you go this route, buy quality hose and not the Freight garbage, which cracks and splits just sitting around. Coming to work and finding and air leak is disheartening, at the least.

Blog Entries
    You probably need an accumulator (storage tank) near the machine for extra volume in your system. If your compressor capacity is low or your runs are long sometimes there aren't enough scfm available for a task. The lowest cost way to solve most issues of this type are to install an accumulator right next tot he machine with enough capacity to handle the needed volume and allow the compressor to build back up to the shut off pressure at a slower rate.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Think I have it almost figured out. Pressure at the compressor did not fall, leading me to believe that the problem was farther down the line. In the interim, I lessened the blow off time, used to clear any debris before it grabs the tool holder. Also did as Peter said, adjusting the tools, so that there was more lag time in between tool changes.

Finally removed the dessicant filter, and one of the 4 regulators(), and that did the trick. Pressure now drops about 15psi for less than 1/2 a second, and is right back up there. Glad to keep my super quiet dedicated compressor. Will plumb in another dessicant line with larger fittings, hoping to not restrict flow too much. Thank you everyone as would not have come to this conclusion in such a hurry. Best,
    Marc

Marc,

Hey, it is interesting to read about this. If you decide to see if you would benefit from an auxiliary tank you might test it first with perhaps an unusual method. If you have it, try connecting a very long air hose.

When using two pneumatic framing nailers at once to build a horse shed out in the field where there was no power, I ran a couple of hundred feet of air line from a pancake compressor so I could minimize the electrical run to the site. An unexpected benefit was the extra line increased the storage capacity significantly and let us drive more nails before it cycled. The compressor did take longer to cycle, but since we weren't nailing all the time (did have to cut and fit) there was usually plenty of time to build the pressure back.

If you can make it fit some day, you might be really happy with a larger compressor. I put a 60 gal 2-stage compressor with a 5hp motor in my new shop and plumbed air lines to outlets all over, to every room and outside. I can't believe how useful this is! It pumps to about 175 but I regulate to 150. I have yet to run out of air during use, impact drivers on farm vehicles, airing up tractor tires, framing nailer, blowing leaves from the gutters, plasma cutter, etc. It is noisy so I put it in a sound insulated closet along with the cyclone dust collector and ran the dryers/regulator/valves outside the closet to the main shop.

JKJ

The problem is not the compressor nor the storage capacity. It is a delivery limit of the regulator(s) combined with the diameter of the hose used. Why 4 regulators? I can see two; one at the compressor and one at the tool. If you economize on the regulators, you may be able to reinstall the dessicant filter.

How high is the compressor charging the tank pressure?