Thread: looking for recommendations for small laser

looking for recommendations for small laser

Hello All,

I've been a fairly active woodworker the last 10 years or so and that work included several (eventful) years working with a Carvewright. A portfolio of my hobby level work is here

http://s171.photobucket.com/user/ldr...rtfolio?sort=6

I am fairly familiar with vector work as well as raster design using inkscape, corel draw etc and as a previous user of the Carvewright, I'm good at stretching limits of machinery and software. (though we have gone down different paths, I enjoyed my Carvewright very much over the 4 years or so I used it)

At any rate, I'm starting a gifts and memorabilia business and will be purchasing a small laser to use to do work on some of my wood/corian/glass items I will be selling. My requirements are

small-medium size - 12 x 20 is adequate, though pass through or removable bottom would be nice for small engravings on larger items
    able to engrave glass - I do some etching/sandblasting of glass already, but would like to add etching, especially when it comes to lettering on glass items
    rotary ability - I definitely will be doing multiple line laser work on pens I turn, but also it would be nice to do bottles etc (again, I already blast, but want to add lettering ability which is significantly more time consuming and finicky)

Price is of course an issue, but I would love to hear your opinions of lasers at various price points... I'd like to spend somewhere between $4000 and $10000

I have a dedicated workshop with opportunity for external ventilation and adequate power.

I like buying US made items but understand it is difficult at this price point- I plan on a second, more capable (and expensive) machine purchase in the next couple of years.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations of lasers which you think might meet my initial requirements,
    Lawrence

I picked up a rebuilt older 50 watt ULS laser this spring. Some people would say I paid to much, could have purchased a Chinese laser and shipped to my door for that price, but I am very happy with it and the dealer who sold it. I do not know where your at, but members sometimes list used machines here. You want at least 40 to 60 watts. For a import from China, Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser USA is located in Ohio and has good aftermarket support.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I would Agree with Bill if you can find a good used epilog or UVL for a decent price go for it. if your in the USA Ray Scott at Rabbit Laser USA has a good rep and his imported machines are well made. If your going to import from China Rabbit is good. Boss Laser In FL has a pretty good rep.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander