I have read a number of times over the years about the virtues of setting the cap iron molecularly close to the cutting edge of the plane iron, and there are lots of videos and articles out there showing impressive results. When I try to do that however, I encounter one of two problems:

-As you advance the cap iron plus plane iron into the thorat of the plaint, the combination is too thick for the throat of the plane, and even very thin shavings jam,

-The cap iron is not long enough, and the locking screw does not have room to traverse in the recess in the frog, so the iron cannot be advanced far enough to get into the throat and take shaving.

Has anyone else had these issues? I have a motley collection of Stanley users, but I have now tried the close setting on all three with the above results, and am wondering what I am missing.

The good news is I get pretty good results with "normal settings", but in light of everything I read I am curious about the results I might see with the "close" settings.