Thread: Tear Drop Scrapers for Kobra Hollowing System

Tear Drop Scrapers for Kobra Hollowing System

I have a Kobra on order, and am wanting some sort of finishing scraper to use with it. What do you guys use with your Kobra's or like systems? thanks

Blog Entries
    I use the cutters out of a table saw molding head . Find a local saw sharpening service ,they got buckets of hss or carbide . I finish cut with a bur after grinding so have to sharpen before finish cut and often .

Never even thought of using those.

I guess I should also ask how you mount them. I will have a 3/4 adapter with it, so I guess it will have to fit that.

Blog Entries
    My craftsman cutters have a 3/8 hole , bolted on to a 6" pice of 1" cold rool and mounted in a1 5/8 " x 6' cold rool . I have been playing today with a 3/4 x 3' cold rool rod with a square carbide easey wood cutter but it broke because of lack of support and improper hold down bolt , it was very aggressive . To much clearence angle iam thinking you need to rub the heal of the cutter more , ive got some that were designed for aluminum with maybe 2 degrees of clearance that cut slow and smooth .

Ha, I have had an order in for or a Kobra for 3 years, good luck!

Finally bought a Gizmo and have been happy with it.

I wouldn't bother with teardrop for now. Use the 3/16th cutter and learn to smooth with it. The larger scrapers for hollowing have a steeper learning curve.

Mark

I am kind of surprised that negative rake scrapers are not used for the insides. I have tried a variation or three of the tear drop scrapers on different hollowing tips for clean up and found them to be very catchy.... Perhaps too much steel way out on the tip.

robo hippy

Kobra

Wow! I did know that there was a wait for the Kobra but 3 years?
    Here is a photo of what I use, very carefully, taking very fine cuts and have had no problems to date.
    scrapers.jpg
    I have about all the options and use the smaller one in any of my shafts and the larger one for under the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mason View Post
    I have a Kobra on order, and am wanting some sort of finishing scraper to use with it. What do you guys use with your Kobra's or like systems? thanks
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Thanks Peter, that is what I was wanting to see. Did you make those, or order them?

As for the 3 year wait, I read that they had some sickness, and had not been filling orders for a while and have now started back. I talked to them on the phone, and they took my order and said they are making them as fast as possible. He did state however to be prepared to wait a while.

I have also had a Kobra on order for three years. I also gave up and ordered a Gizmo and love it. I'm not even sure they are still making the Kobra.

When I started turning I aquired these with handles I think they were Sorby. I removed the handles. I have lots of this sort of semi-modified cutters etc for my Kobra. I sure hope you are able to get yours. Mine only took 6 months but was well worth the wait. Not to be critical of other makers but it is really hard to compare to others because of the sturdiness and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mason View Post
    Thanks Peter, that is what I was wanting to see. Did you make those, or order them?

As for the 3 year wait, I read that they had some sickness, and had not been filling orders for a while and have now started back. I talked to them on the phone, and they took my order and said they are making them as fast as possible. He did state however to be prepared to wait a while.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .