Thread: Maybe I'm spoiled.

Maybe I'm spoiled.

I guess I've gotten used to the level of customer support from Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen. So when I run across a company that in my opinion falls very short it stands out.

I had bought one of the Sawstop throat plates with replaceable inserts from Infinity Tools soon after they first came out. Recently I went to their Web site to order inserts. The only inserts they listed were for the new version, which they said wouldn't work with the old version. They gave the part number for the proper inserts but the number wasn't found anywhere on the site and the link for the part just took you to the home page.

I called Infinity and was told that the vendor was only shipping new style inserts and they couldn't get the original version. I asked if they had any program to take care of their abandoned customers and was told I could buy a new plate for another $109.

Yes, I understand that I can make inserts for the plate. I'm backed up with enough projects that I don't want to spend the time building the jigs needed to make tools instead of furniture. The reason I bought the product in the first place was because it was a nice turnkey solution.

And yes, I understand that Infinity is at the mercy of their vendor. But the way they appear to be just abandoning customers who trusted them enough to invest in a new product they were promoting just left a bad taste.

Like I said, maybe I'm just spoiled. It reinforces why Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen are the first places I shop. Infinity just moved much farther down the list.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

What did Saw Stop say when you brought this to their attention? Seems to me that the "buck" would stop there rather than with a distributor
    Howie.........

Don't think Sawstop has much influence over a third party supplier! Cliff, I agree with you, obsolescence is too common these days!

I think you could save a lot of time and stress by making the insert yourself.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I don't think it is fair to hold Infinity Tools responsible for a design change from a third party supplier. My dealings with the company have always been first rate.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

No dog in this fight but I had a conversation with a customer the other day who was asking about all sorts of aftermarket parts for our machines. More specifically, why didn't (or wouldn't) Minimax supply technical data for components of their machinery to these aftermarket mfrs., so that they could make their own accy's or whatever. And the answer, while blunt, is also honest: Because they don't care. It's just not a priority. Whether that is good or bad is the purview of the customer but it's the truth. There's a particular LED light bulb that I like and have used throughout our house. One burned out. It had a lifetime warranty, so I went back to the store. Guess what: "Sorry, that company went out of business about a year ago. All warranty claims had to go through them. There's nothing we can do for you." Who can you really get mad at? And for what? If it was me, I'd just DIY it and move on with my business. Only my 2-cents, of course.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Howie,

The plate is made by Colli-beck and soldsold by Infinity. Sawstop has nothing to do with product.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

What's the difference between the old and new anyways? I think I have the older one since I bought it from Infinity in 2012.

At any rate, I made up a bunch of inserts at that time - they weren't difficult to make but yes, annoying if you're in the middle of other projects. I can send you a few if you'd like.

Blog Entries
    The new one has no locking handle.

P.s. Love the Firesign Theatre sig line Cliff. Shoes for Industry.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Anyone wanna get REALLY torqued about the lack of support from the new Delta company?
    My Infinity stuff has been top notch, but I haven't bought any items provided by a second tier supplier.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Follow-up

A follow-up on this topic.

Andrew at Infinity contacted me and related that he talked with Colliflower and they agreed that they wanted to support the original purchasers of the plate. Colli-Beck will resume making the original inserts and he said they should be in stock in a few weeks.

It wasn't something that they had to do but personally I think this shows a respect for their customers that is commendable.

Cliff
    Charles Bukowski

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That is exceptional customer service from Infinity Tools.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    A follow-up on this topic.

Andrew at Infinity contacted me and related that he talked with Colliflower and they agreed that they wanted to support the original purchasers of the plate. Colli-Beck will resume making the original inserts and he said they should be in stock in a few weeks.

It wasn't something that they had to do but personally I think this shows a respect for their customers that is commendable.

Cliff
    That is WAY BEYOND typical customer service in my opinion. Contacting a 3rd party supplier and asking, probably demanding, that they retool to satisfy their customer. You should probably update your initial comment to reflect that in case someone coming along later doesn't bother reading through the thread. I've used Infinity Tools and have found their service outstanding. I think your original complaint was without much merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Anyone wanna get REALLY torqued about the lack of support from the new Delta company?
    That's an old story that everyone knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My dealings with the company have always been first rate.
    So have mine!