Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for double sided tape

Blog Entries

Source for double sided tape

I frequently use double sided tape when making duplicate parts. Recently my roll of 3M double sided film tape ran out. Unfortunately, 3M didn't put the product number on the cardboard roll. The tape was an acrylic based adhesive with a clear liner the tape is only a few thousandths (.002-.005) of an inch thick. The removable backing was white. It was 1-1/4 wide. I have another project coming where I'm going to need this tape.

I checked my local tape sources and none carry anything except carpet tape which is too thick for my needs.

Anyone have a good source for double sided tape?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't have a lot of experience but I bought a roll of Peachtree's double stick tape for holding small pieces to be cut on my cnc router. It worked better than I expected.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Might be on this list. Once you find exactly the model number, google should be able to find it for sale. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...rt=rs&x=17&y=9

here is one listed on 3M's collision web site http://3mcollision.com/products/tape...-924-3503.html

Reid Industries (I forgot what their new name is) carries a lot of different types of tape. I have also bought double sided tape from Grainger.

I have some duck brand tape I got from Amazon. It is super strong and the best I've used so far. Used it this morning at the router table.

You can try this: http://www.mcmaster.com/#fastening-t...-sides/=zrdyqa I found one that matched your description except in width. 1" or 1-1/2" was the closest. What I use and like is a paper tape with a rubber adhesive. .007" thickness and quite strong. I use it for pattern routing. I believe it is Intertape 591.

Blog Entries
    I bought my last batch of carpet tape from Amazon.

I use a 2 sided product from Woodcraft that was touted on the "net" several years ago by turners but I use id for router patterns and it works great. Is not cheap but reliable!!

Golf club component companies also sell it for regripping clubs. Hireko and Golfworks are the two places I order from. Both have two versions, a water-activated tape and a a solvent-activated tape (water or solvent is so the tape will get slippery and grip will slide on easily, not a real consideration for woodworking). The water-activated tape is more "plasticy" than the other, which is more paper-like.

DB
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Heenie View Post
    I use a 2 sided product from Woodcraft that was touted on the "net" several years ago by turners but I use id for router patterns and it works great. Is not cheap but reliable!!
    I suspect I use the same thing. Mine was sold as 'turners tape'. Supposed to be very strong in shear but less so in tension so it's easier to separate the finished parts. One caveat - make sure both surfaces are clean and SMOOTH. I was using some tape to secure plywood pieces to form a template to route an opening in a router table for a plate. 3 sides held fine, one piece of plywood was a little rough. Grrrr.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-11-2015 at 9:44 AM.

Lee Valley has a turners' tape that holds very well.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

+1. Works great.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have some as well that I really like.

At the time, they indicated that they had two varieties (or my memory is wrong). One held stronger than the other.

+1 on the woodturner's tape from Woodcraft. Very strong, but check the thickness, as it might be a bit too thick for your requirements.