Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple planes

A couple planes

These are a couple planes that are slightly unique, at least for me.

First is a Sargent 718C. This was in a box of tools a friend gave me, he found them while cleaning out his MIL garage/shop after she passed away. Her husband had passed away 12 years prior and everything had sat unused in unheated leaky garage. All the tools he gave me were covered in some black stuff that looked gear oil, pretty easy to clean off but it stained everything it touched. It did work though! The box had a couple braces, 6 handsaws, breast drill and hand drill and a bunch stuff.

Anyway, this plane is in pretty good shape. Some surface staining and a few small rust pits but it's sole is flat and there's plenty of life left in the blade.

When I removed the knob I discovered that it can be positioned at several different angles. Turn it counterclockwise a couple turns, reposition it, and tighten it back up. Ideas about what this feature is for?

1031151311a_DxO.jpg

1031151310_DxO.jpg

1031151311_DxO.jpg

1031151312_DxO.jpg

1031151314_DxO.jpg

1031151314b_DxO.jpg
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Next is a Miller Falls #14 I got off the Bay a few years ago. This was covered in a thick waxy substance and wrapped in butcher paper. Japanning is 99%, only 1 small spot on the shoulder about 1/8 round. Blade appears to still have the factory grind.

I'm not a collector but I'm tempted to leave this one as for the duration, however, since this is my only Miller Falls I'm curious to see how it cuts.....

1031151306a_DxO.jpg

1031151304d_HDR_DxO.jpg

1031151305_DxO.jpg

1031151304c_HDR_DxO.jpg

1031151304b_HDR_DxO.jpg

1031151304a_HDR_DxO.jpg

1031151309_DxO.jpg
    Last edited by Brian Hale; 11-05-2015 at 9:18 AM. Reason: sp
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

..... Also, any idea on the age of these ?

I love my Millers Falls planes. My .02 would be to put it to use!
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    ..... Also, any idea on the age of these ?
    It looks to be from 1955-1966:

http://oldtoolheaven.com/bench/benchtypes.htm

Not sure about the Sargent plane, there is some information here:

http://www.sargent-planes.com/sargen...et-fore-plane/

Took another look at the images posted. The 1915 patent date is on the bed of the plane. Patent dates were on an item for the length of the patent plus however long old stock was on hand, usually ~15-20 years.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-05-2015 at 2:09 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The MF should be a great user. The Sargent 718 is a pretty uncommon plane and relatively valuable. As far as I know, the adjustable knob is for comfort. I have the 722 and I need one of those front knobs. I've been looking for one for about 3 tears now.

Blog Entries
    I have the 722 and I need one of those front knobs.
    You will likely have better luck having someone with a lathe make one for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Good stuff guys.

The Sargent is a good user. The blade gets very sharp with little work and does pretty good at not tearing out on "wild" grain and I like the feel of the tote. It does have a different sound compared to the rest of the herd, mostly Stanleys from the 20's - 40's. I sharpened the blade straight and clipped the corners some and it does good at panel flattening. Any idea on it's value? Not that i'll sell it, never been good at that

Is the Miller Falls from a "desirable" era?

Brian

Take another look at that sargent plane.....it is what is known as an Autoset.

The Millers falls is about like mine, VERY GOOD JACK PLANE!! Post WWII Type 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    You will likely have better luck having someone with a lathe make one for you.

jtk
    Agreed, but I would probably still need one to use as a template, wouldn't I?

Blog Entries
    Is the Miller Falls from a "desirable" era?
    If it does the job well without complaints, then yes.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parkis View Post
    I do not know the knob on this plane. If it were mine and needed an impossible to find front knob then I would try to match the shape of the part that holds the knob and work from there.

It would likely help to have pictures of a plane like this disassembled to make a knob from imagination. Hopefully Brian will post a few more pictures if he does disassemble the plane.

As collector interest grows there may be more information on Sargent planes online. Not too many years ago there was next to nothing. Of course just a couple of decades ago there wasn't a lot of woodworking tool related information online. There was barely an online.

jtk

Picture #6 show the indentations where the hardness was tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie Gallaher View Post
    Picture #6 show the indentations where the hardness was tested.
    Good catch Lonnie!! I didn't even notice that till you pointed it out

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parkis View Post
    If it would help I can take some better shots of the knob for you. Does your 722 have the adjustable knob also? I ask because this knob is much taller than any of the other planes I own