Thread: Recommendation for Set of Western Hand Saws

Recommendation for Set of Western Hand Saws

SWMBO is hinting at some ideas for Christmas gifts, and one of the hundreds of things I want is a good set of traditional hand saws. I watch Paul Sellers with his hand sawing and it is so proficient. I am sure that given a day or two practice I will be as good. :-). He also uses some what appear to be smaller hand saws, particularly a smaller rip saw that seems very efficient.

i have a great selection of back saws from Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley, and I am about to take delivery of a custom Bad Axe Roubo Beastmaster with a Cocobolo handle that I am very psyched for.

So who makes good hi quality hand saws? I have a couple of flea market Disstons that are nice, but I would prefer to leave those in the "collection" pile and grab some new ones that I turn into heirlooms.

I much appreciate the help!

I can't recommend these (only because I don't own them) but look at the Wenzloff panel saws from Lee Valley.

Another option to consider is the great half-back that Ron Bontz makes. Shannon Rogers bought one and seemed pretty impressed.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"