Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: router for a router table

Oops ....
    I completely forgot my "go to" onsite setup since I'm currently using my better router/table onsite where I'm working.

I picked up a Ryobi 1.5 HP router/table combo a few years ago for $99.
    It's more than paid for itself and was well worth the price I paid for it.
    It won't do anything heavy duty and it's limited to using only 1/4" shank bits, but, it does the job.

Craftsman and Skil both have similar setups for around $130 or so.
    W/Black Friday just around the corner, I'd hang out until then to see what comes up.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I am on my second Triton in my router table. Tritons are well engineered for use in table. They adjust easily in the table without any special lifts.

Pick up a DeWalt 625. All the power you could ask for, which is handy when you try to swing panel raising bits.

I've used one for at least a decade and have never regretted the purchase. Variable speed, and I just mounted the plunge base to the mounting plate. A bit awkward to adjust the depth, but the power makes up for a LOT of awkwardness.

I also used a PC 690 for many years although I now have a PC 7518 in my table. Since you stated that you don't intend to used raised panel bits IMHO it doesn't matter what horsepower router you get. I did find it convenient to mount the fixed base from the 690 to the table for easy removal of the router motor and used the plunge base for all other router applications. What I would consider as important is variable speed (soft start is nice too) and an accessory switch to allow easy powering down in case of an emergency.