Thread: Inadvertant Neander

Inadvertant Neander

Started a bench and my planer sniped a section of the top. So, instead of 60" long the top will be 5' 6 or 8" long and 24" wide. 2 sections glued up good and 1 bowed somehow. So it's handplane time. My KeenKutter 5c got a workout and 2 sharpenings. The stanley 6 got into the act too. I have the errant section nearly tamed. There are only 2 slight gaps to be dealt with. Just glad I have the tools to fix this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Those supports look like it could be a back breaker.

Can the glue up gap have a slot plowed out and then get a contrasting piece inlayed?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

It is nice to know that you have those tools to fall back on. The other choices would be to leave it as is or start again. Having the tools and the knowledge of how to use them makes a big difference in the finish product. I hope you enjoy your new bench.
    Jim

For future reference, you can prevent snipe if you attach a rail to each side extending a foot or so past the end of the board.