Thread: How do you make this cutting board?

How do you make this cutting board?

cb.jpg
    I am thinking you make a couple cutting boards with various woods. Cut them into strips, mix them up, and reglue. Then make a endgrain board; cut it up, shuffle, and reglue. Is that about it?

I wouldn't go through all that work and sell it for $70!

It looks like there are straight glue lines in the board so I assume they make up boards of individual pieces and glue them together. If it's done by machine in the thousands, it can probably be done for a selling price of $70.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I liked his gluing technique. Much faster than doing each piece one at a time as I do; and the pvc pipes and the clamps above keeps them cleaner.

I may have to try it to convince myself that it works. It seems like an awful lot of unjointed surfaces to glue together and have them come out perfect.

Very impressive design and workmanship!

Will take a page from his book and utilize the PVC pipe stands for future projects.

Thanks for the link.

I subscribed to his channel a few months ago and have picked up some good tips/tricks, though I haven't gotten around to using any. I really like his glue up approach (PVC pipe stands plus fast spreading via mini paint roller stored in water) and areas for finishing (oiling bins for boards and just a wall/corner for spray)
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

My favorite part was the kids.

Those are cool but did I see him run an end grain cutting board through a planer at the 10:20 mark? If so, does the addition of the rails make it safe? Safer?

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    did I see him run an end grain cutting board through a planer at the 10:20 mark? If so, does the addition of the rails make it safe? Safer?
    I run end-grain boards through my planer (Grizzly G0453PX) routinely. It's not an instant death sentence, you just have to be careful.

1. Extremely thin cuts - I have a digital readout and make passes in about .020" increments. If you don't have a digital readout, add one - they're available and adaptable to just about any planer.
    2. Spiral cutter head - probably not a strict necessity, but a lot of little cuts one after another seems a lot less stressful than a full-width cut. I ran a few cutting boards through my DeWalt DW735 without any issues but it feels less risky with the spiral cutter.

The rails on the sides are to keep snipe off of the main workpiece. The rails on the front and back are to prevent tearout.

He also has a video that addresses the safety aspects of running an end-grain cutting board through a planer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ2LSj4RhAs
    ~Garth