Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Type of Steel?

New Type of Steel?

In addition to woodworking, I also do some cooking. I went to a cooking class yesterday and the chef was talking up the knives he has. They are made by VMatter and he claimed that the knives held an edge longer than any knives he's ever used. He said that the metal was developed by the California Institute of Technology. I did some research on the web and didn't come up with a lot but I did find this.

Does anyone know anything about this steel? I'm interested because of the possible application of this steel to woodworking tools, especially chisels and plane blades.

Apparently the knives have been out for a while, maybe a year or two, and they're not that expensive when you consider exotic steel. I'll probably buy one of the knives to see how it holds up.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I gotta get me a $400 gouge!
    And the diamond tool you probably need to sharpen it.

You can find the company that's bringing the CalTech developments to market at http://liquidmetal.com/
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Looks interesting. This will end sharpening debates for good since edge lasts 5x longer To be honest I have never lamented edge durability of my cheap kitchen knives and I cook every night for my family. People around me like sharper knives, but seem to be putting up with the dull ones as well.
    It is good that technology marches on though, otherwise I would be using flint knifes

Interested by your post. I like to cook and many years ago bought myself a chef's knife for about $40 ($70.00 in todays dollar) and it has served me well for years. I was looking for a good quality knife that would last me for a long time, that's what I have gotten. This knife http://www.amazon.com/VMatter-Profes.../dp/B00JKTK9K8 is $144. Personally I would say that's overpriced. Any decent store selling kitchen cutlery is selling very good knives for much less. I don't see why there is a need for extra sharpness and durability beyond what most master chefs use. Let me compare to woodworking. I worked in a shop that specialized in 18th century reproduction and restoration. Most of the major woodworking magazines have featured them. The craftsmen that I worked with were top grade. America's level of master craftsmen. They did fantastic work long before Lie Nielsen came out with hand planes selling for high prices and they did it using Stanley hand planes they bought at flea markets and tuned up as needed. Check youtube for guys like Chuck Bender and Mike Siemsen and you'll see guys that used some fairly average tools to do damn good work. The tools aren't going to make the end product better, the craftsmen will.

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    You can find the company that's bringing the CalTech developments to market at http://liquidmetal.com/
    My only materials science course was 40 years ago, so I am a little vague on these things, but the website say the product has a rockwell hardness of 53, while powdered metal gouges claim a hardness of 67. Doesn't look like a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    My only materials science course was 40 years ago, so I am a little vague on these things, but the website say the product has a rockwell hardness of 53, while powdered metal gouges claim a hardness of 67. Doesn't look like a step in the right direction.
    On Amazon, they say that it's 70+. I'd expect that it would be hard if there long edge retention. Problem with hard steel is that it fractures. If they have some way to control the fracture, then the steel would work.

I ordered the one I pointed to in this posting - for $50 - a blem. Figure I can risk that much.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    One of the ads features customer photos with the blade having broken bits off.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    One of the ads features customer photos with the blade having broken bits off.
    Yeah, I saw those pictures. The chef that gave the presentation to us said that he had used his knives for about 6 months and had cut through bone with them and the only damage I saw on the edge was some chipping of a part of the edge. I'd have sharpened the knife at that point but he was still using it and still happy with it.

The knife is kind of like a Japanese knife, with the hard steel in the middle and softer steel laminated to both sides.

Maybe those pictures were from early units. I'll learn more after I get mine.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The knife is kind of like a Japanese knife, with the hard steel in the middle and softer steel laminated to both sides.
    Mike
    I have the Henkels Twin Cermax Triple layer Japanese steel. I've used them for more than 10 years and they work great.

http://www.amazon.com/J-Henckels-TWI...VDAAC0CB9VKRES

My main knife is $10 Sabatier knock off. Its been ok for about 15 years and I cook every day, vegetables stand no chance, actually butternut squash can give it a little fight

I'm happy with my Ginsu's.

The reviews on the VM are not all that compelling. To me, a Damascus steel knife or tool would be the ultimate ... but I have never actually "put my money where my mouth is." But thank you Mike fr bringing this to our attention ... love to learn about new ideas and see opportunities that might not have been obvious.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 11-14-2015 at 9:32 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    The reviews on the VM are not all that compelling. To me, a Damascus steel knife or tool would be the ultimate ... but I have never actually "put my money where my mouth is."
    Is real Damascus steel still made? Maybe I just crawled out from under a rock, but I didn't realize that Bill. Wow.

I haven't looked real closely at this new knife/metal............but is there a patent (or applied for) on this metal?