Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Jnat Stone and Box

New Jnat Stone and Box

I received a new fairly soft Jnat from JNS the other day. It is a medium grit stone from Niigata, Sanjo. Last night I got around to flattening the bottom so it will set without rocking and this AM I made a quick and dirty Cherry holder and lid for it. BTW, it is a brick.

It is a pretty stone, light blue/green in color. I hope to try it on a couple of my display chisels before the day is over.

ken

Blog Entries
    Nice looking box!

Interested to see what kind of surface finish the stone leaves and what kind of slurry is built. If you would ken, post up pictures of both the slurry and the finish.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Nice looking box!

Interested to see what kind of surface finish the stone leaves and what kind of slurry is built. If you would ken, post up pictures of both the slurry and the finish.
    Brian,

Will do, I expect to give 'er a run this afternoon.

ken

Blog Entries
    Interesting. the impression I got from the Razor forums is that J-Nat's where hard and ultra fine, I've never used one of course.

Blog Entries
    Japanese sword polishing by Takaiwa gives a good idea of what's what with regard to stones in an overall sense (does not apply directly to WW tools very well). Different stones from different strata and different mines all perform differently and it allows the full range from roughing out on through final polish.

You'll see Japanese natural stones generally divided into 3 categories and those are for knives, for WW tools (chisels and plane blades mainly) and for razors. They are further divided into stones which are part of the progression of grits suitable to each of these types of blades.

Knife stones are generally geared toward knives where the user is working a hamaguri edge and is aiming to make a nice even kasumi finish. WW stones are harder, stay flatter and build less slurry, razor stones are further along this progression building a minimal amount of slurry.

Ken will likely be looking for how quickly slurry builds and how the stone finishes both the hard steel (ha) and the soft iron (ji).

Blog Entries
    very cool nice to indulge over here. I might need to avoid buying Japanese chisels so that I don't end up blowing $$ on natural stones... I have my own stone problem... well not really a problem, but I won't un-purify this thread with talk about synthetics

Blog Entries
    If you get into J-nats it will become a problem....quickly

I've looked at stuff with alot of consideration that I would have found ridiculous a few years ago.

Blog Entries
    Lol, yeah, isn't that were David started.. ?

Brain, with you craftsmanship, I think it's safe to say you deserve to indulge a little.

my next want is a good hard ark.. but we'll see. many more things up ahead on the list.

Brian,

It is very easy to bring up a nice thick slurry with the Nagura. The stone is very fast cutting, I prepped on a Atoma 1200 and in just a few strokes the chisel was polished and there is good definition between the steel and the soft iron. To the eye the edge looks polished, under a 10X lope all the 1200 scratches are gone and there is a nice matt finish to the polished edge. I usually do not test irons, I just look, feel and if it looks right and feels right I put it away. The chisel looks and feels like it is ready to use. I may have to try this one out :-).

ken

A Pine shaving:

Very cool thread Ken. I love seeing how other people work in their shop and seeing their tools. So what chisel is that?

Blog Entries
    Nice Ken! is that bent western chisel there to make the other chisel look even better?

Hello Ken,

Is your stone an Ikarashi? I recently purchased one from JNS and have been using it on a few chisels. Let me add some of my observations...

Pro's
    - A very easy stone to use for hand sharpening. Smooth feeling with no chattering.
    - Can form a slurry easily. I use a 400 grit atoma plate.
    - Very nice high contrast finish between hard and soft steel layers.
    - Fast and aggressive (for a natural stone)

Con's
    - Very thirsty and messy stone. Needs a lot of water to get slurry started.
    - Easy to cause diamond plate to stick to thick slurry.
    - Heavily beveled edges of the stone are pretty annoying. Difficult to tell where the end of the flat area is on the stone.

I purchased the stone hoping to replace my shapton 2000. Unfortunately, the ikarashi seems to be greater than 3000 grit, so my shapton will stay in the mix.

I am curious about the use of your Mejiro nagura stone. Did JNS recommend the Mejiro?

David

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Very cool thread Ken. I love seeing how other people work in their shop and seeing their tools. So what chisel is that?
    Tony,

Thanks, I also find it interesting.

It is a 24mm Kikuhiromaru #1 White Steel chisel.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    Nice Ken! is that bent western chisel there to make the other chisel look even better?
    Matt,

Busted.

That's my glue scrapper and all around utility chisel. It is a cheapo Woodriver. If I had known how much I would use it I might have tried to find a better one.

ken