Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If I'm not Bleeding I'm Not Working

Quote Originally Posted by Bill White View Post
    Ahh, the joys of Warfarin.
    Bill
    Bill,

Ain't it the truth....My arms look like an old man's and i can't possibly be that old .

ken

My worst incident was when I took delivery of a bad axe tenon saw. I just had to see what sharp was. I pressed my finger into the teeth and was astonished at how sharp it was. I went to put the blade guard back on and should have went heel to toe. Sadly, the first thing my new saw cut was flesh, not wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    My worst incident was when I took delivery of a bad axe tenon saw. I just had to see what sharp was. I pressed my finger into the teeth and was astonished at how sharp it was. I went to put the blade guard back on and should have went heel to toe. Sadly, the first thing my new saw cut was flesh, not wood.
    Now that is funny. Sorry but my sense of humor must have stopped evolving somewhere around the sixth grade. Hope it wasn't too deep.

ken

My mallet and tool chest have spots of blood on them to remind me to be more mindful of where my edges and hands are. That should work, right? Except—

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lawrence View Post
    Somehow I caught the top of my thumb, and it went right through the nail with no problem and kept going. Now small pieces like that go in the vice.
    —I was ripping a small piece in my vise late one night without paying attention when, cuuuuut, I went right into my left thumb. The finger looked buck-toothed for about a week or so. More blood, more "reminders."

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Now that is funny. Sorry but my sense of humor must have stopped evolving somewhere around the sixth grade. Hope it wasn't too deep.

ken
    Oh it is funny in hindsight. I'll tell you what though, I have a vivid picture in my mind what a sharp saw should feel like....minus the actual tearing of skin haha!
    Last edited by Mike Cherry; 11-16-2015 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Blog Entries
    I keep knocking on wood while reading this.

My last cut was about a year ago. I was sharpening a pocket knife. Did the arm shave test and then to clean off the blade, in a moment of absent mindedness, I came in from the wrong side. I knew even before there was any blood I had messed up. It wasn't deep as I caught my mistake just as it was happening. Did give the wife a start when I went in the house holding my finger and asking her to apply a band aid.

My nicks and cuts all seem to come when I am not focused. My fingers are calloused enough that just touching a blade doesn't cause a cut. I have been testing blade sharpness by touching the blade with my finger tip since I was a youngster. I learned to do it so as not to open up the skin.

I do not advise others to use this testing technique.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Worst for me so far was a hand saw when i was a kid. Ran the damn thing through my thumb (about half-way through.) Still have the scar, and never really got the feeling back in the end of my thumb. Took a lot of will to start using hand saws again.

now that im a pretty good sharpener, im always nicking myself with knives (carving) or chisels (woodworking.) it doesnt help that i have (virtually) no feeling in my hands, add that to "sharp enough to shave" and tons of little cuts are inevitable.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 11-16-2015 at 9:43 PM.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I routinely pick up an unexpected scrape here or there and have become quite adept at applying a little Neosporin and a band-aid one handed ;-) This is pretty normal. However, the last few times in the shop I've seemed to be trying to set an elevated baseline for "normal wear and tear". A chisel cut, a rasp scrape and a really dumb move with an X-Acto knife all over a couple of days has certainly readjusted my "watch yourself-o-meter".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Haha. It's funny that this thread is here now. Last week I was thinking something similar; I was cutting a half-lap joint and still haven't finished up my real bench. So the board was held in a clamp. The clamp slipped, the saw slipped, and now I have a nice new scar developing on my left hand. Funny thing, though - where I literally sawed my flesh open on my finger, it stopped bleeding almost immediately with just a towel and some pressure. However, on the adjacent finger where just two teeth punctured at the end of the incident, I dripped blood all over the floor. Just wouldn't stop.

I have had all the typical nicks and scrapes. When I use my chisels and I see my hand ahead of the edge I always think "no cuts if I am behind the blade". My problem is the band saw. Silly because I know better but I have cut both hands on the little spinning blade. The last time I had moved away from the saw and must have thought I turned it off. I had headphones on and didn't realize it was still running until I stuck the back of my hand into the spinning blade.

I put a chisel in the side of my thumb. Went to the doctor to get the wood chip out and have 5 stitches put in. Ken I know about the amount of blood with blood thinners. If I get a small nick I bleed like a stuck hog. I have to put a band-aid on the smallest of cuts.

When I cut my hand because of the thinners my wife at first though I had cut off my hand. She rallied like the trooper she is and ran for the car keys

I don't have a bad WW one yet, but playing hoops about 15 years ago I snapped my achilles, and then threw a clot after the surgery. This is in New England in the middle of a very bad winter. I am leaving the hospital, 6' 10" 300 lbs on crutches, the ground is a sheet of ice, and the Dr says "If you fall there is a real chance you are going to bleed out". On crutches on a skating rink with one foot in a cast. My poor wife was absolutely terrified. I made it home though. Just a fun trip from the car to the house on my butt. No warfarin for me, I had Lovinox. Had to inject myself 3x a day in my belly. Big target...

Joe

Years back, I had finished sharpening a set of marples blue chip bench chisels and was putting the plastic edge protectors on, one by one, large to small. When I got to the 1/4 inch, the edge protector must have had a split in it, as I started to slide the edge of the chisel in, and finished off the motion by palming the edge protector thus pushing directly into the center of my palm, it split in half and sent the freshly sharpened edge forcefully into my palm. came pretty close to coming out the other side I believe.

I once cut my leg badly with a chisel when chopping a mortise in a large timber for a bridge. I was sitting on the timber when a wasp landed on my left leg. I have a strong emotional reaction to wasps ever since I knocked over a wasps nest when I was a child and got stung all over. Anyway, in an unthinking panic I swiped at the wasp to knock it off my leg, and the chisel in my hand neatly sliced my thigh.

It only hurt when I farted.

Nowadays, my injuries are limited to just knicks and little cuts, but when it does happen, I have a habit of smearing a little bit of the blood on any new blades. Once satiated this way, they seem less inclined to take a bite.

Anthropomorphic, I suppose, but tools have feelings too.