Thread: Question regarding a shop vac

Question regarding a shop vac

I now have a new Table Saw (Bosch 4100-09). I understand it is a 15 amp motor. I would like to purchase a decent shop vac to hook up to the dust port on the TS. I would like to be able to just turn on the TS and have the shop vac start too. And when I turn off the TS the shop vac would turn off too. My question is what switch are you using to be able to do it? I did a quick search on Google and found this one "i-socket 110m Tool and Vacuum Switch".
    It says it is a 15 amp/125volt circut. Does that mean it would not work with my TS (15 amp) and a 10 amp shop vac for example? If not, what kind of switch would you recommend I get to be able to do what I would like?
    Are there better basic switches to perform the same function?

Thanks,

John

I have that switch on my shop vacuum and have used it with my Ryobi BT3100 table saw which also draws 15 amps. My shop vacuum is pretty little, I think it draws 6 amps. All but one time this has worked fine. The one time it didn't I was ripping about 3 inches deep, I think it was softwood, and everything was fine until I went to do the next thing, which was with a different tool. The circuit was tripped. I had to reset it at the breaker. I was using a 20 amp circuit.

So I think it will work but if you load down the table saw you may flip the breaker. Logical looking at the amp ratings. My conclusion is that when I am cutting at maximum capability of the table saw I need to plug the shop vacuum into a different circuit. That will not let me use this switch. But if it works for all my other tools and usually works on the table saw, I can live with that.

I use an iVac switch. It can use two male (power) plugs- that you plug into two separate circuits when the tool & vac are over 15 amps. The vacuum runs 6 seconds after the tool is turned off to collect residual dust. Lee Valley has a pretty good description on it.