Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's Cooking Thanksgiving in the Creek?

Quote Originally Posted by David Helm View Post
    For the first time in 20 years I'll not be hosting Thanksgiving this year. Usually do a 34 pound turkey, Brussels Sprouts from my garden, real Cranberries. Other stuff would come from the guests. This year we are going to my brother in law's place. Means a 4 hour roundtrip but will be much easier for my 87 year old father in law. I'm actually excited to not be the main cook for a change. Like Shawn, the turkey is a fresh organic one. Never have fried one (don't think a turkey that size would work in a deep frier).
    34lbs? How exactly do you cook that size bird? Wasn't aware they were available that large.

I have been doing it for the extended family and friends for years. My crowning glory was the year I totally de-boned and stuffed a turkey so that when carved, you got a slice with stuffing. Not to leave out the dark meat fans, the legs and thighs were also stuffed so they would get the same turkey/stuffing slice. That was a one time deal because of all the work to de-bone and reconstruct.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

Everyone I know who's done the deep fried turkey has only done it once. Does this tell us anything?
    You got that right. I did it once and don't think I ever will again. It was a hassle, made a mess on my driveway, was more expensive and the turkey wasn't any better. It wasn't worse, but for all the trouble, was no better.

I am sure some will disagree as they love deep frying the bird, but not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Do any of you don your Betty Crocker apron and cook Thanksgiving for folks or does someone else do it? I am pondering borrowing a setup for deep-fried turkey but don't want to make the local news. Have any of you ever tried deep-fried turkey? Is it all they claim it is?
    Several times. I think it's very good tasting.
    Whatever you do, take it out into the yard. It WILL splatter, and can catch fire. Ex SIL the dummy, set the thing up on the deck. I had a few names for him. Still have stains on the deck.

[QUOTE=Peter Kelly;2493387]34lbs? How exactly do you cook that size bird? Wasn't aware they were available that large.[/QUOTE

I get the birds from our local co-op, ordered from Shelton Turkey Farm. I have a home/commercial stove/oven that is large enough to hold the turkey and some side dishes.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    My wife, Frannie, will be doing the cooking for our extended family this year like she always does. She's really good at cooking.

We'll be having roasted turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, corn, cornbread dressing, yeast rolls, pies (sometimes she makes the pies and sometimes she buys them). I've probably missed some of the stuff.

Lots of football, visiting with family, eating and probably a little drinking. It's one of my favorite holidays.

PHM

I do not like turkey and I don't understand why people still eat it. It is just tradition based on available meat 200 years ago. I am going to my brother's house for Thanksgiving and will eat some turkey to be polite, I am making a couple apple pies there. Will take a gallon of vanilla ice cream and cook the pies so they are warm when we eat them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

For the fourth year in a row, we are going to my daughters' home for an "open house". Lots of people attend it, and bring something to eat. 45-60 folks during the 1PM till closing time, ususally 9PM or so. Youngsters, oldsters and in between, it has been a really good time and a nice change from what can sometimes be a hassle. A big back yard for the kids to romp, play soccer, meander and whatnot. No decisions and light work for those that might have to work on Friday..or Wednesday. My daughter loves to cook and entertain, so it is a win for everybody that enjoys something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I do not like turkey and I don't understand why people still eat it. It is just tradition based on available meat 200 years ago. I am going to my brother's house for Thanksgiving and will eat some turkey to be polite, I am making a couple apple pies there. Will take a gallon of vanilla ice cream and cook the pies so they are warm when we eat them.
    I detest turkey but eat a bit out of politeness. I will bring a honey-baked ham and it will be demolished with lots of turkey left. When living on the Eastern Shore of Virginia the locals would eat a seafood Thanksgiving every year. I always had friends visit at Thanksgiving while living there.

Blog Entries
    A change of plans here! After 25 years of me making a turkey for Thanksgiving (anywhere from 5 to 15 people), we will have a change of pace. This year's recipe for the three of us:

Appetiser - Yellow Fin Tuna three ways (one cold, two seared with different dipping sauces. Sounds time consuming but takes only 15-20 minutes)
    standing rib roast with au jus and roasted root vegetables
    mashed potatoes and gravy (my son does these)
    chinese sauteed long beans
    dressing / stuffing
    cranberries (for LOML, I detest them)
    homemade bread (some rustic variety - I'll make ahead of time)
    and Pumpkin Pie (some traditions must be maintained! Again made ahead of time.)

We will promote a Bocce tournement during the day in the park up the street.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I'll be cooking turkey, and pies (Sweet Potato, Japanese Fruit Pie, Pecan, and one Pumpkin for DIL.) Cooked the collards today. On Wed, wife will cook Blackeyed Peas, mix up dressing (not stuffing) boil eggs for Deviled Eggs. Thursday morning, I will make Yeast Rolls, as this year, we will eat late (4:30) so son can come after work. We will have 11 people this year, down from 30 last year. Only going to have four generations at the table, instead of the usual five.