Thread: Engraving vegetable ivory (Tauga nuts)

Engraving vegetable ivory (Tauga nuts)

Does anyone have some initial power (%) and speed settings (mm/sec) for engraving vegetable ivory (Tauga nuts) using a Chinese 50 watt laser?

Thank You,
    Roger

Like any new material, high speed, low power and increase power until you get the desired results. If you get to full power before that happens then start reducing speed. If you have full power and the lowest speed and still no results then it isn't going to work with that material.

p.s. They are actually Tagua and if you search here you'll find a few results.

Being an organic material, tagua is not uniform so one setting probably won't work for all pieces. More reason to follow Gary's advice to "sneak up" on the settings.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I am so new, I guess, that I have no idea what these look like,will you post a picture for me?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roy Sanders
    Knot to Pen Custom Turned Pens

Platte City, Missouri. USA

CorelDraw x 6
    CorelLaser
    LaserDrw
    Nice-Cut NC-4040 Tabletop Laser 40W

12" Craftsman Table Saw
    12" Craftsman Band Saw
    Craftsman Scroll Saws
    DeWalt Thickness Planer
    !0" Wood Lathe
    Vacuum Chamber
    Pressure Pot

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Sanders View Post
    I am so new, I guess, that I have no idea what these look like,will you post a picture for me?
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tagua+nuts

Blog Entries
    Morning Roy!

Tagua is a Tropical nut with a white meat to it. It carves and turns nicely. I have never tried running it through a laser. It is often used as an ivory look alike for small pieces like accents on a wood piece or as an ivory substitute in jewelry. Fun stuff to play with. With a little playing you could incorporate it into your pen designs. But I think an ivory colored Corian might be a better option unless you simply want the "cachet" of using Tagua. It sounds much more exotic to say your pen is made from a fine, sustainably harvested fair trade Granadillo Wood from the lush forests of the Yucatan contrasted with subtle accents of Bolivian grown Tagua Nut than to say your pen is made from Walnut and Dow Corian. <grin>

If you want to try turning it you can get some from Rockler or Woodcraft or any carving supplier.
    Last edited by David Somers; 11-19-2015 at 2:23 PM.
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.