Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best miter saw to buy

best miter saw to buy

Thinking of buying myself a new miter saw what is a good one to get I have 2 dewalt now like to do a little better.

Nobex Champion:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884

No dust, no noise. Incredible accuracy.

I realize you're looking for one of those loud, obnoxious beasts, but if you're just a hobbyist, you might seriously want to re-think that.

I bought / installed 2 extra clamps on mine, plus all the optional blades. Then I made a custom base with sturdier stock supports. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

To me and chop/slide saw choice has almost always come down to fence capacity. I like to cut crown moldings upside down (like a miter saw) and need a tall fence for that. TBH I havent found a saw made by the more well know manufacturers that I really didnt like or wasnt accurate enough but the DeWalt 12" chop saw has been my go to with a the best blade you can afford (more about the fence and blade than saw I guess I am saying). Slider takes too much room behind it for my shop but is good for the site.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Bosch Glide Arm..... Nothing else I have owned or used even comes close.

Robert

I have owned a few and tried several. My last was a Makita LS1013 but was very frustrating to use as it would stick at the end to the travel rail. Got aMakita LS0714 based upon lots of recommendations here and LOVE it. Super accurate and the small blade really helps as has no flex. Very light weight so easy to move and store. Backed it up with a Dewalt 12" chop saw for construction type work. No complaints. Only issue is I believe Makita stopped making them and now has a Chinese made 8" version that is not getting near as many good reviews. Mine was Japanese made and has great fit and finish. Sometimes smaller is better depending upon your needs. Of course tall crown requires big saw if cutting vertically so you are back to 10-12" saws. Guess I would still recommend the Festool for that.

A lot would depend on use. I have a simple 10" Hitachi nonslider, single bevel that I use for quick cuts. It will cut a 4x4 with ease and that is the most I really need it to do. Everything else can be done with the table saw or circular saw. Don't even really use it much any more really. They are on sale at Amazon and Lowes for $100 now. My buddy has the 12" slider that he regrets getting because it isn't easy to move around and he hasn't really needed the slider or bigger blade. Neither of us are contractors though so keep that in mind since user and uses determine the tool.

I have the Hitachi 8-1/2 inch slider and it works fine. Sliders have the advantage of being able to cut dadoes which is critical for job-site work.

Complaints would be (in order of annoyance) ... a) very poor dust collection b) somewhat awkward to carry c) space requirement behind saw d) blade guard catches on material in some cutting configurations. But the fact is, I bought this thing about 25 or 30 years ago and it is still working like the day I brought it home.

Are there any miter saws that have solved the dust problem?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post

Are there any miter saws that have solved the dust problem?
    Festool Kapex.

Quote Originally Posted by James Zhu View Post
    Festool Kapex.
    James ... do you have first hand experience with this, and are you really pleased with how it works?
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

James ... do you have first hand experience with this, and are you really pleased with how it works?
    Yes, I have one, excellent miter saw, way better than my previous 12" Riggid sliding compound miter saw. I believe 92% dust collection Festool claimes is based on the 36mm hose, not the stock 27mm hose. I think someone posted here how to improvement the already very good dust collection on Kapex. I also plan to get this extension bracket http://www.multiblades.com/UniversalKapexBracket.html.

I do. As long as you use Festool's mid size hose- the one that fits outside the saws dust port, you can effectively cut in someone's living room all day, with proper sawing technique.
    There is nothing on the market that I'm aware of, that even comes close to the effective dust capture.
    And the saw is quite nice once you give it a chance.

Nobex Champion:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884

No dust, no noise. Incredible accuracy.

I realize you're looking for one of those loud, obnoxious beasts, but if you're just a hobbyist, you might seriously want to re-think that.

I bought / installed 2 extra clamps on mine, plus all the optional blades. Then I made a custom base with sturdier stock supports. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    That is a really neat saw. I might not have bought the Kapex if I had seen one of those.
    Last edited by Kent Adams; 11-19-2015 at 12:40 PM.

I love my Kapex. A lot of people won't give it a chance due to the high price, which I agree is quite expensive. However, the dust collection and extreme accuracy make it worth every penny in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    That is a really neat saw. I might not have bought the Kapex if I had seen one of those.

Which post are you talking about please?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Which post are you talking about please?
    He is referring to Nobex miter box http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/pag...26&cat=1,42884 . I never regret buying Kapex.