Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best miter saw to buy

The 7-1/2 and 8-1/2 Sliders from Makita and Hitachi are reasonably light at about 30# +/-. The Festool comes in at 47#, some of the dual slide compounds are up at 60#. Obviously weight is just one selection criteria ... but it is worth comparing.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    Nobex Champion:

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=32926&cat=1,42884

No dust, no noise. Incredible accuracy.

I realize you're looking for one of those loud, obnoxious beasts, but if you're just a hobbyist, you might seriously want to re-think that.

I bought / installed 2 extra clamps on mine, plus all the optional blades. Then I made a custom base with sturdier stock supports. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    Had one once. Great if you want slow and quiet. Not so good if you need to nibble a bit off the end of a 45 degree miter. Lasted exactly until I got my first powered miter saw years ago, a 10" Milwaukee . Only a few times did I ever wish I had a compound miter saw or a 12" blade.
    NOW you tell me...

I own a 10" Bosch axial glide. It replaced my 12" dewalt single bevel non slider. I've had it a few yrs now and am still elated every time I use it. Its heavy, and not the best on DC, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian phillips View Post
    I have cut 1,000's of feet of running trim with each saw. The dust collection is equal between the little Makita and the Kapex.
    The DeWalt I am referring to is their non-tilt/non bevel 12" saw from 15 years ago (very good dust collection, slightly below the Kapex, and the most accurate non-Omga miter saw I have ever used).
    Read closely, I am not saying that ALL Makita and Dewalt saws collect dust like a Kapex.
    However, in my real world experience, the two saws I mention do collect dust equally, at a fraction of the cost, and with equal cut quality.
    To praise the Kapex a little-it has the best (largest) bevel scale of any saw I have seen, and the easy tilt of it's bevel makes setting precise bevel angles a breeze.
    Here is a video of that Makita's dust collection in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtmGHPjyWQo

I'd say that's pretty good, but not as good as the Kapex. One of the things I don't like about it is that it's not well balanced. Move the blade back and the saw will tilt backward. https://youtu.be/757N1sZHlaY?t=2m35s

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    OMGA:

$5,583.00 Miter Saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Considering it's ten times the quality of the Festool, I call it a bargain.

Used ones pop up all the time and can usually be had for around $600

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Payne View Post
    Thinking of buying myself a new miter saw what is a good one to get I have 2 dewalt now like to do a little better.
    What do you mean "a little better".?

I have a dewalt chop saw that works well. But i have lent it out to a neighbour. Dont miss it. I use an old (1920's) Stanley mitre box.
    Paul

I think it depends a lot on where and how it is to be used.
    - Mike

I have owned the Ridgid 12" sliding miter saw for 3 or 4 years now.
    Dead on accurate and cuts are smooth as glass.
    I did notice it was no longer in stock at Home Depot. That model seems to come and go.
    IMG_0881.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale