Thread: Shaper Origin

Shaper Origin

Just got an email from Rockler asking me to fill out a survey. Here's the website of the Shaper Origin: https://shapertools.com/# You can view demo videos on the website. The price and release date have yet to be determined. The survey did ask how likely I was to buy it if it cost $1499, so somewhere around there or less might be a good guess.

As they put it:
    "Shaper Origin is the world's first smart handheld cutting tool. It uses computer vision to understand its location relative to a workpiece and precision motors to continuously fine-tune the spindle's position along your intended cutting path. We think of it as auto-correct for your hands."

From the looks of it, it appears to be a handheld CNC machine. Seems ideal for those who are limited by a small CNC machine, but don't have the room for a large CNC machine or want to get in the world of CNC.

Weird.
    I don't have a use for something like that that I can think of, but a really neat idea.

Cool idea. Be interesting where this technology goes.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-22-2015 at 1:41 AM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale