Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finish Carpenters.......

I worked for my father for fourteen years. He owned his HVAC/electrical business. We also built closets to house the systems, when they did not have any. We installed disappearing folding stairways, etc. What ever needed to be done to do the job,we did it.
    My father told me one day that if he did not do A/C work he would have been a trim carpenter. He really was an excellent trim carpenter. He taught me so many things about construction. I asked him where did he learn all of this stuff. He told me that he
    took woodworking shop classes in high school. I met one of his shop teachers years later, we were installing an A/C system in his house. He told me how talented my father was in doing his work. He said it is an art, and it is something that takes time and
    patience to master. My father had both of those qualities. One of his favorite sayings were,"that joint needs to be so tight you can't blow smoke through it". I did not understand at first. Then I realized that he meant, existing structures move, are not perfectly square, therefore you have to custom fit it. He was always saying things to make you think about it.

All of the approaches that he taught me during those years helped me in ways I could not have dreamed of when it came to woodworking. I would not like to be a trim carpenter, I can but to me it is more of a passion that I do not have. I enjoy building projects
    and upgrades but that is enough for me. I have found my passion now, it is woodworking!
    Thanks for the post Ken, it made me reflect on some good memories.

Ellery Becnel

Backbands and base caps make perfection easier.

In dealing with carpenters on things that need to be milled for them it's amusing to see how the good ones have different ideas. Some make a big deal about getting door jamb material that suits them. Want all the material plenty wide so they don't "have to beat back the Sheetrock" others want them a little narrower and they will "just beat back the sheetrock". I hope the two factions never go to war.

The so-called professional which finished my house was totally clueless...... After living in the place about 6 months, I ripped out all the trim as I could not stand looking at it any longer. I pity the next professional person that sells me a house!!! Live and learn as they say....

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Parent View Post
    The so-called professional which finished my house was totally clueless...... After living in the place about 6 months, I ripped out all the trim as I could not stand looking at it any longer. I pity the next professional person that sells me a house!!! Live and learn as they say....

Robert
    I had to do the same, plus rehang every door.
    -Lud

Blog Entries
    I did all of my stained trim in the house except for the crown molding. Turned out OK, not professional. I have since seen a few tricks that would have helped me. My kitchen crown was custom molded, and I knew if I tried it, I would get so many backwards, I would run short. I had a buddy and his helper come in and do all the stained crown in the kitchen and painted crown in the hall and living room in a day. Including all of the caulk on the pre-painted crown. I would have had a stack of mis-cuts a mile high.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Practice using the miter saw as a shooting board. Lightly putting the stock against the saw body and you can shave 1/64 off.
    We call this the touch and go. Pass it to your helper and say "give the touch and go".

I did about 15 years in the field and would take it any day but the shop can get old- standing in a small space tends to make me stiff. Lack of snow or rain is good though.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Mr. Quinn describes the difference between shop and site work perfectly. A real finish carpenter makes things fit and look perfect in the imperfect world of framing lumber, drywall mud, out of parallel surfaces, etc. Add in doing this with other trades in the way, less than perfect lighting, poor dust collection, and you have a totally different challenge than assembling components in a well-lit, climate controlled shop with accurate machinery.
    Yet there are craftsman who efficiently and accurately install complex trim in homes and commercial buildings. They have systems and a mindset. It doesn't take a perfectionist, just experience, a good eye, and planning.
    I find the stories of so called "professionals" who are actually hacks more an indictement of the homeowners who hire them.
    If you are going to hire someone to do finish work in your own home, or a building you care about, do some homework. Check some references, see some actual work in place.
    You're hiring a craftsman, not a salesman.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian phillips View Post
    Mr. Quinn describes the difference between shop and site work perfectly. A real finish carpenter makes things fit and look perfect in the imperfect world of framing lumber, drywall mud, out of parallel surfaces, etc. Add in doing this with other trades in the way, less than perfect lighting, poor dust collection, and you have a totally different challenge than assembling components in a well-lit, climate controlled shop with accurate machinery.
    Yet there are craftsman who efficiently and accurately install complex trim in homes and commercial buildings. They have systems and a mindset. It doesn't take a perfectionist, just experience, a good eye, and planning.
    I find the stories of so called "professionals" who are actually hacks more an indictement of the homeowners who hire them.
    If you are going to hire someone to do finish work in your own home, or a building you care about, do some homework. Check some references, see some actual work in place.
    You're hiring a craftsman, not a salesman.
    Exactly!

When my customers are on the fence (usually because they have a handyman that will do the work for half the price), I offer to take them around to other projects I have done in the area and I invite them to peruse the project gallery on my website. Price doesn't seem to be a factor after that; I think they need to actually see the craftsmanship that they are paying for.
    - Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sebastian phillips View Post
    I find the stories of so called "professionals" who are actually hacks more an indictement of the homeowners who hire them. If you are going to hire someone to do finish work in your own home, or a building you care about, do some homework. Check some references, see some actual work in place. You're hiring a craftsman, not a salesman.
    You really do get what you pay for. I saw this quote on the wall of an auto body shop a few years ago and it really drove home the point: "We do $200 paint jobs and $2000 paint jobs. Don't pay for one and expect the other."

I admire good finish carpenters.
    Fred