Thread: Need help -- bit stuck in impact chuck

Need help -- bit stuck in impact chuck

I was using my drill with an adaptor chuck (made for impact drills) with my pocket hole drill.To my surprise the hex shaft broke just below the chuck. So without being able to put the chuck back into the drill, how do I get the bit out of the chuck?I put what was left of the shaft in vise, and tried to turn the chuck with a wrench, but that did not help ... got any other suggestions?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you can get the stub of the shaft tight in a drill I would try vice grips on the chuck to try to loosen it. If that doesn't work I don't know what I would try next.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    I am still trying to picture why you would use an impact adapter in a drill to use a drill bit.
    NOW you tell me...

Buy a new bit and chuck.

Post a pic. I can do more than provide asinine posts if I can see what's going on.
    -Lud

Give the broken piece a shot iwth a hammer/nail set. Most of the time when a tip is stuck in my impact drill it just needs a little tap to free it up. Like the chuck is slightly worn and the tips rotate a bit and lock in so you just have to turn them backwards a tiny bit to free them up.

Could also be a magnet holding it in as well?
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

I gave p trying to get it out, and purchased a new one. I already had a replace the chuck because it had stuck before and I could not get the bit out, but with the chuck shaft breaking .. I was out of luck getting the bit out.

Decided to stay away from Makita's impact chuck ...

Broken drill chuck small.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Try putting a little heat on the chuck jaws with a propane torch. If you can get the jaws to expand just a couple thousandths the drill bit may come loose.

2 pair of vice grips looks like it should grip well enough to break it loose.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grunow View Post
    Give the broken piece a shot iwth a hammer/nail set. Most of the time when a tip is stuck in my impact drill it just needs a little tap to free it up. Like the chuck is slightly worn and the tips rotate a bit and lock in so you just have to turn them backwards a tiny bit to free them up.

Could also be a magnet holding it in as well?
    100% agreement . smack the end and loosen it up .will come out then .hope you haven't tried heat - would ruin chuck forever . this problem you have is not uncommon.

I think all you need to do is hold the dril bit and then loosen the chuck as you normally would. When the drill bit slips you should be able to pull it out