Thread: Fixing a dado oops...

Fixing a dado oops...

I made a big oops and while cutting a corner dado in a table leg my router fence slipped and now I have a very cool curved dado..... DOH! Thankfully I am painting the leg, what is the prefered way to fill in the dado, for just painting it? wood filler? Epoxy? widen the dado so it is straight and fill it with a piece of wood to fill the slot?

Thanks for any help.

I'd do the patch with wood. It behaves the same way under the sander as the surrounding wood.

Another thread on here talks about the wonders of Bondo. That is what I would use if it is going to be painted.

last option, fill with a piece of wood glued in.

You called it - widen the dado, fill with wood and re cut the original dado. Paint it.
    David

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Don't be afraid of bondo, I see it all the time in high end commercially made furniture, and lot's of it, JK.
    Seriously, insert a piece of wood keeping the grain direction the same as in the original, sand it, paint it and done. Nobody will ever know.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    You called it - widen the dado, fill with wood and re cut the original dado. Paint it.
    This is what I'd do for both cosmetic and strength reasons.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Bondo is quicker and easier.
    Routing a larger dado, glueing in wood filler and re-route is probably more traditional.

I would probably do the latter is an screws are going in the area.

Cut a straight, wider slot and glue in a matching piece of wood, or make a new leg. (I would do the latter) You can be done with it before the bondo dries.

I think the whole point of making your own furniture is not having to put up with bondo where there should be wood.

Thanks everyone. I'll widen and fill with a wood piece. I still can't believe I messed up this bad. I was about to curl up in the corner and cry.

Fixing mistakes turns out to be an important skill. First step is to not get overly wrought about the error, and think about solutions. I did a similar error on something that was a clear topcoat. I spent just a few minutes searching for a piece of wood with similar grain, milled it to fit the kerf, and glued it in place. I couldn't find the patch later myself. When the mistake happened, I nearly threw the piece away to start over - glad I didn't.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I fixed it last night. The repair is solid and looks decent.