Thread: CBN wheel questions.

CBN wheel questions.

I am thinking about putting the Dway CBN wheel on my xmas list. I see they haave radiused wheels. What wound that be used for?

Thanks

Quinn

Many turners believe that the radius on the corner of the wheel makes it easier to sharpen hollowing bits and other items.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

thanks Dave.

I just thought of another question. Can you sharpen carbide router bits too. I woulld think if it is the hardest materia;l on earth carbide router bits wouldn''t be a problem?

Diamond is the supposedly the preferred wheel for carbide, but yes CBN is supposed to be able to handle it, but not for production sharpening. (I haven't tried) I suggest that you go to the source and ask Dave.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

When I sent a copy of this to Dave, he said, 'yup, that covers it'.

http://www.robohippy.net/featured-article/

I would only sharpen carbide router bits to a sharpening service. Some can handle it, some can not.

robo hippy

When sharpening a small bar stock scraper in a hollowing tool you normally have to swing the bit from side to side to grind the curve. This gets to be unwieldy if the bit is in a long handle. With the radiused wheel you can hold the bit straight into the wheel and just move it over the radius on either side to grind it round. (You will get close to the same grind but with the angle on the side approaching 90 deg but that shouldn't be a problem.)

There is a video that shows this in use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk14XNP7ixM

Try a small HF diamond disc on a dremel for carbide bits.

Thanks for the link John. It make more sense to me now. Saw one there too on installation too that was interesting

Quinn