Thread: Morris Chair without Finish

Morris Chair without Finish

Here is the Morris chair I've been building from the Wood plans. It came out rather well, although I had to make one of the sides twice. Seems I turned it back to front when I marked the curve in the top.

I modified the cut-out in the side panel into a cross. I have a side table I made years ago with a cross on it, and I like this - it will match better.

I'm going to go the non-traditional route and finish it with teak oil and a polyurethane wiping varnish. The rest of my wooden furniture in the living room is natural red oak, and this will match it better than a tradtional fumed look. The teak oil darkens it a little and pops the grain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks great! I love the Morris chair. Would you mind posting some pics when it's finished and in place? I'd love to see them.

Will you be doing the ottoman as well?

Blog Entries
    Dan,
    Great looking chair.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Thumbs up

Dan, nice work!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Nice work. I need to build one of those. Where did you get the plans? Were the bent arms hard to do?

Lloyd

very nice !

Great work. Nice looking chair. That is my project for this winter - as a rocker. Any problems I should be looking for?

Dan,

THat is terrific work!! Show us the finish.....please!! thanks!!

Dan,

Great work and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Dan, it looks great!

Great job, Dan! I especially like the crosses.
    Keel McDonald ><>

Dan, it is simply beautiful. Really nice, what will you use to cover the cushions?

Here it is with the teak oil on it. I have to let it dry for three days or more before putting on the wiping varnish. That shouldn't be a problem, as I'm probably going to Louisiana to help with relief this weekend.

Answers to questions:

Jim--I think I'm going to do the ottoman, but I'll probably do my own plan for that. I just didn't want to purchase that separately.

Lloyd--the plans are from the Wood store. $10.95, I believe. I got lots of recommendations for these when I was looking around.

Dave--If I did it again, make another template to cut the curve in the top. I drew a line off of the curved arms, but with the offset of the legs, it was difficult to get an accurate line. Next time I'd transfer that curve to a piece of MDF, then cut that to fit between the legs. The plan called for me to draw the line from the form used to bend the legs, and I really didn't want to do that, because it didn't allow for springback. As it was, I used every clamp I could get on the arms, then cut a small trim piece for the tops of the sides. Oh, and don't do like I did and cut the side backwards once. Doh!

Gail--I'm going to get cloth cushions made. I don't want vinyl or leather - those always seem hot to me. I'm not sure about color - that's my wife's department, because I'm colorblind. We'll probably get a tan, possibly the same color as my Chessie. Sometimes I wish the whole house was that color.

Thanks for the positive comments. This was my first time to do through tenons, and there are some gaps. I have a drill press mortising kit and it worked well, except I think there's a little flex in my drill press table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking sweet, Dan. The oil really popped the grain, and I'll bet the photo doesn't begin to do justice to the real thing. Very nice indeed.

- Vaughn

I can't add much to what's already been said.......Excellent piece ! I love mission style furniture but my wife doesn't like the chairs so I can't make one. You did a fantistic job !

Wish you the best on your relief efforts.

Outstanding. I always liked that design and am glad you pursued it. Do take a pic of it "in the room" once it's done, too. It will be nice to see it in situ.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...