Thread: bosch jig saws

bosch jig saws

I am considering buying a new bosch jig saw while amazon has a $25 rebate on purchase price. Undecided on whether to buy the JS470EB or the JS572EBL. My understanding is the big difference is in the case and the led light, also the price which is about $100 more. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I only looked at them briefly but it appears that the higher priced model has two rollers to support the blade and the lower priced one has one. The reviews of the higher priced model were also not as good but that isn't a clear advantage because it could just be higher expectations. Two rollers would make it cut straighter up and down.

I have a model significantly older than either of these that has one roller and it cuts fine for me. The blower for sawdust doesn't work but otherwise it still works great. I like it on metal as well as wood. I don't have a bandsaw at the moment so it is my curved cuts tool. I've cut 4x4s with it since it will go through in one pass and the circular saw requires two cuts. It cuts construction lumber almost as fast as a circular saw too.

I think it comes down to lower price versus latest and greatest. I think even the lower priced model would be a fine tool better than the best other brands have to offer.

Are you sure you want a barrel type? Have you used one before? They can feel odd to hold if you are used to the over handle type. I was going back and forth myself on a new jig saw for a while and after all my research I decided that the JS470E was just too well reviewed and too tried and true to pass up. But it's the over handle type as thats the style I like more.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

The JS470 seems to not equal the 1590/1591. It seems the JS572 may be.

You do give up the variable speed trigger with any of those in barrel style so choose carefully.

I recently purchased the 572bl and am super satisfied. It was my first tool with the lboxx. I can take or leave the lboxx right now. However, I just bought my second tool with the lboxx because it was the same price as the same tool without it. So now that I have 2 I will be figuring out if the lboxx fits into my organizational life going forward. I snapped the 2 together and think if I had a stack of them on rollers they might be handy in my new large shop.

I can tell you that either one will get the job done. This is an upgrade from a 20+ year old crapsman that had the wierd rotating blade feature on the handle and I always struggled with keeping the blade straight and plumb during cuts. It was also slow cutting no matter what brand or tooth blade I used. Not the bosch. It was amazingly different and the cuts were on my line and plumb to the face.

Just my thoughts and experience.

I just went through this exercise after I finally decided to dump my BORG special. There are a couple older threads that compare the JS470 and the JS572 models. Most advice was to avoid the JS470 due to its single point blade support. I decided on the JS572EBL and ordered it over the weekend. At the time, Amazon had the best price, even without the Bosch promotion. Amazon offered another $80 off if I applied for and used their credit card. The jigsaw arrived late yesterday, but it will be another week before I can open it and see how it works.

I just bought a JS470 - nice smooth action with a good ability to go in a straight line & turn when you want it too.
    My other jig saws pretty much made up where they wanted to go all by themselves.
    I couldn't justify the extra $$$ for the 572 - - plus - - the reviews for it were too spotty.

Too many people lamented the fact that the 572 wasn't a 1590/1591 despite being priced more than the older models.

Be aware though - the JS470 is heavy - - very heavy - - very very very heavy.
    If you're looking for a nimble barrel grip jig saw, the JS470 isn't it.

The JS470E is made in Switzerland though - @ least mine was when I bought it a month ago. It's right on the model/serial number plate.

Back when I inquired here about them (Bosch jig saws) about a month ago, I was advised to hunt down a used 1590/1591. My needs were/are too urgent though to spend time looking for something that may or may not be there.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

js470

I decided on the JS470 barrel model. I received it today. I'm glad I went with the barrel version. I like the added control. Mine is also made in Switzerland. Thanks to everyone for their input.

I understand the Bosch jig saws have a zero clearance insert similar to my Festool. Is this so? If so, how hard is it to buy replacements? Does the insert adequately reduce top tear out? A friend is shopping for a jig saw and doesn't want to spend $300 on a jig saw like I did. Smart friend. We both want to have the cleanest cut possible from a jig saw.

In the current Bosch jigsaws, the JS470 and JS572 have anti splinter inserts. So do the previous 1590/1591. The anti splinter works very much like the Festool Trion series, which is $250. The JS470 is a bit less than that depending on which kit you get and if it includes their modular case system like Festool does. The JS572 that much or a bit more.

I prefer my Bosch 1590 for heavier use and my Trion for finer work. The Trion is lighter weight and the dust collection is a bit better. The Bosch D-Handle has a variable speed trigger, which the Festool does not. No barrel grip jigsaw has a variable speed trigger as you don't have anyway to change pressure on a trigger.

All the above use the same blades.

If you are looking for an inexpensive jigsaw with anti splinter, I don't think you will find one. Bosch is more than Festool for anti splinter pieces, which need to be replaced regularly and differ with each blade kerf. If anti splinter is a big deal, the Trion starts looking like the best deal.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 12-10-2015 at 4:10 PM.

I'm a big believer in the high quality of the Bosch jigsaws.I have both a 1572 and a 1590..Both excellent
    Jerry

Glad you like the new Bosch you purchased. It's better than the Festool according to most people. The only one I considered over the barrel Bosch was the Mafell....and well how does one justify that cost? I can't.