Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality of iGaging Squares

Quality of iGaging Squares

I want a 6" combination square but can't afford to spend the $$'s for a Starrett so I was thinking of iGaging. The reviews on Amazon have me concerned about the quality.

If anyone has an iGaging square what are you o[pinions? Is there one that is better than iGauging but not as costly as a Starrett?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Try PEC. You can find blems at good prices. Do a Google search and you'll probably find some. There's a guy on eBay that has a store selling blems and had PEC combination squares at good prices. I bought some PEC double squares (blems) and was satisfied.

I have some igauging double squares and they're good, but the PECs are better.

Mike

[And think about a double square with a 6" blade instead of a 6" combination square.]

[Try eBay item 141455406886 for a PEC blem 6" combination square. $29.99. Then you can look through his store.]

[oops, that's a 12". Sorry. Here's a 6" double square - 131336515755]

[Here's a 6" PEC - 131496495388. $27.99]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 11-27-2015 at 12:54 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    What is your budget? If you don't want to spend for a Starrett I would go with a PEC. I actually prefer my PECs (smoother movement, better finish) although I have a nice Starrett received as a gift. I use a combo square many. many times a week. The per-use cost divided over even one year is pretty small. Coffee costs much more and is used less .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    [And think about a double square with a 6" blade instead of a 6" combination square.]
    I have a PEC 6" double square but am thinking that having the ability to use the 45* feature on the combination square would be helpful.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George,
    FWIW, I bit the bullet 2 years ago and got myself the Starrett Combo Square for Christmas. Nice tool and I haven't regretted it a minute. Mine's not the least bit fussy or sticky.

I don't know about their combo squares, but I have a 4" igaging double square and a 4" lee valley double square. The igaging is very sticky - wish I had bought the lee valley first. Don't know if lee valley sells their own combo square - might be worth a look for you.

I've heard nothing but good about PEC and PEC blems.

Fred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    George,
    FWIW, I bit the bullet 2 years ago and got myself the Starrett Combo Square for Christmas. Nice tool and I haven't regretted it a minute. Mine's not the least bit fussy or sticky.

I don't know about their combo squares, but I have a 4" igaging double square and a 4" lee valley double square. The igaging is very sticky - wish I had bought the lee valley first. Don't know if lee valley sells their own combo square - might be worth a look for you.

I've heard nothing but good about PEC and PEC blems.

Fred
    Just for clarity, the Lee Valley squares are made by PEC. At one time this was true for Woodcraft as well but, don't know now.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a Starret and a 4 piece Mitutoyo and I wanted something for so I took a chance on a Grizzly
    https://www.grizzly.com/products/4-p...uare-12-/G5726.
    For $33 it's a very good deal. Every bit as good as my expensive squares and the fact that the scribe screws in sets it apart from expensive squares which are slip fits. Everything slides nicely and the numbers are etched in. Worth a look.

I have a couple of PEC 4" double squares, one lives in my apron pocket and one is a backup. I love them. I also have a couple of the iGaging 4" double squares. I use them at school where they are subject to more abuse and potential loss or damage. If you clean them up with a needle file and some fine sandpaper they work fine but aren't nearly as nice as the PEC, but they work ok.

I have to say that after trying a number of cheaper alternatives I save my money now the first time around and only buy Starrett stuff when they make what I need. They are just way better. That being said I do understand money is a deciding factor, so check out the offerings from Woodpeckers. They make some very nice products.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    I have a couple of PEC 4" double squares, one lives in my apron pocket and one is a backup. I love them. I also have a couple of the iGaging 4" double squares. I use them at school where they are subject to more abuse and potential loss or damage. If you clean them up with a needle file and some fine sandpaper they work fine but aren't nearly as nice as the PEC, but they work ok.
    +1. I bought 3 iGuaging 4" double squares because the price was compelling enough to try the experiment. Like Dave mentioned, I had to file off the powder coat from the base of the screw and the seat to get the squares to stop slipping. And 1 of them still slips a tiny bit. I will not buy any more iGuaging products. My Starrett double squares are rock solid when set.

As long as we're talking about upper end squares, take a look at Mitutoyo squares. I like them better than Starrett.

But for things like 4" double squares, the PECs are great. I can't tell the difference between a PEC and a Starrett or a Mitutoyo in those double squares.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have only used electronic devices sold under the iGaging brand but they are decidedly inferior to other brands. I wouldn't buy a square from them just for that reason.

I usually go with the Woodpeckers. Been very happy with their products and own a bunch of them.

Never did make the leap to the Starretts, but I do think about it occasionally. But since their isn't really a hole in my lineup for a Starrett, I never made the purchase.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

So what makes Igaging or whatever brand inferior/Starrett superior ? I own a 3" Igaging and I find it works fine for me(square and easy to operate), and yes it gets use every single day quite extensively. So maybe I'm missing out maybe I'm not?
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Busenitz View Post
    So what makes Igaging or whatever brand inferior/Starrett superior ? I own a 3" Igaging and I find it works fine for me(square and easy to operate), and yes it gets use every single day quite extensively. So maybe I'm missing out maybe I'm not?
    I have iGauging, PEC, Starrett, Mitutoyo, and Lee Valley (probably made by one of the others). The iGauging is not as smooth in operation as most of the others. It seems to be accurate and square so it's very usable. They had a sale on 4" double squares for $10 each a while back and I bought a number of them. I use them in classes I teach and they work fine. But the PEC is smoother and a cosmetic blem is about the same price as the iGauging.

I certainly did not intend to imply that the iGauging is not a good tool. It's just that I prefer the PEC for the price.

Mike