Thread: So grateful for a thoughtful gift

So grateful for a thoughtful gift

My cousins brought me a wonderful gift on Thanksgiving.

These belonged to my late uncle Vern and to his father, Clayton. The 3 with markings are Buck Brothers. I am amazed by the condition of the tools and how well sharpened many of them are. My uncle could not have used these in the last 10 years and probably not in the last 20.

These are carbon steel, so I won't plan on using them except for nostalgia or if I need a specialized tool. I appreciate my cousins' thoughtfulness and the gift of having something that connects me with a wonderful uncle and great uncle. Uncle Vern was an aerospace engineer at Sunstrand in Colorado. He brought his careful accuracy to all of his projects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

A thoughtful gift. I know you will treasurer them and remember your uncle. I have a few buck brothers tools from a lathe I owned 35 years ago. I use one every once in a while, but mostly they sit in the bottom drawer of my tool chest.

I have a set of Bucks that were my first turning tools, probably 25 years old now. I still use some of them. Good carbon steel, they get really sharp - just not for very long.
    Nice score though. Keep it in the family.

That's a thoughtful gift with a sentimental value.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Brian,
    Yes, it is always special to have tools from someone close to you. I was given a bunch of old augers, bits,rulers, mystery tools and other tools from my uncle that belonged to my grandfather who I never knew. These dated back to the 1920's or before. What I did was hang a 4x8 pegboard and put them on display. I would post a picture but when I moved I had to pack up and have not put them back up. I will say every now and then I had to pull one of those tools off to use.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

If you have the inclination...a nice home-made storage case would be just the thing to keep them both organized and handed down to the next generation. Either way...I'm sure they're in welcoming hands.