Thread: Question about Hide Glue Pot

Question about Hide Glue Pot

I finally broke down and bought a real hide glue pot - Thanks, Scott, for offering it here.

When I received it, I found a wire doodad inside the pot and I can't figure out what it's supposed to be used for. You can see the pictures below.

What is that used for? Is it to stir the glue? Or to wipe your brush on? Or what? The pot did not come with a manual and I couldn't find a manual or any instructions on the web.

Mike

Glue-Pot-01.jpgGlue-Pot-02.jpgGlue-Pot-03.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Copied and pasted from the Amazon sales page for it: and a wiper rod is included for scraping the sides of the pot

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Copied and pasted from the Amazon sales page for it: and a wiper rod is included for scraping the sides of the pot
    Ah, thanks. I never thought to look at the Amazon page.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Stewmac says it's a "mixing, wiping device": http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools...ue_Pot%20.html

I speak pretty good Google.

Mike,

Your pot looks like the one TFWW sells, here is the link https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/.../MS-GLUEPOT.XX

From the description page: "...The glue pot comes with a steel stand that goes into the pot so that you can wipe your glue brush against it."

ken

To Recap: From the above answers it sounds like a multi-purpose doodad. Wipe the brush on it AND scrape the pot sides AND if desired, stir the pot.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Blog Entries
    And it makes julienne fries....
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Personally, I never need that much glue at one time. So I fill my glue pot (same one as you) with water, and put hide glue in a small ball jar in the middle so that the water surrounds it (like a double boiler). Then I only have a little bit at a time, and can screw a lid on and make it tight when I put it in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Martel View Post
    Personally, I never need that much glue at one time. So I fill my glue pot (same one as you) with water, and put hide glue in a small ball jar in the middle so that the water surrounds it (like a double boiler). Then I only have a little bit at a time, and can screw a lid on and make it tight when I put it in the fridge.
    That's what I plan to do, also. But I was interested in what that thingamabob was.

Thanks everyone for clearing that up.

Mike