Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jointer plane purchase

I'll take my LV jointer over a woodie jointer (I have an ECE) any day.

It's too late now, but you could have gotten a nice discount this morning at the LV Cyber Monday sale.

I've been into hand planning for about a year now. I have the LV jointer with edge guide and the Lie-Nielson #62. I have built end tables, hall tables, sofa tables and a work bench. For the typical board length on these projects, the 62 saw more wood at least 90% of the time...for face and edge planning as well as shooting. The jointer was great to have on a few tasks, but unless you plan to consistently work with long material, I'd at least put a 62 plane into consideration.

By the way, as you have probably come to know as well, the guys recommending woodies do know their stuff and I trust their opinions greatly. I will likely go with a woodie or two in the future, but I do think you may appreciate the metals to start. Like mentioned above, you'll never lose much $ on LV or LN.

ECE Primus jointer.

Light weight, wood-on-wood feel (lignum sole) and a lovely depth adjuster (once you learn how to use it right.)

I have maybe 7-8 true jointers, and all the others now collect dust.

I have an ECE "Short Jointer Plane". I bought this over other jointers because: 1. It has a 48mm blade, so requires less effort to push; 2. It is the most inexpensive jointer you can buy new - I didn't want a vintage Stanley/Record because the soles are likely to require flattening; 3. It uses the wedge blade holding mechanism - I've heard the Primus mechanism holds the blade well but is a pain in the ass to remove for sharpening.

In use I don't adjust the depth that often, so while the wedge mechanism can be fiddly to get just right, setting it is kind of a one time thing when jointing. I think a lot of people jam the wedge in too firm and have trouble retracting the blade afterwards (by tapping on the button).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    You know Matthew, I have never used the A55 - I just never availed for myself the opportunities when I have shared space with Terry at woodshows. He is the salt of the Earth, utterly reliable ... as are all his planes. It is uncanny that one can drop a sharp blade into a HNT Gordon plane, and it will perform perfectly. Are you getting the O1 or HSS (M2) blade?

Were I buying a trying plane from Terry today, and did not need the extra 5 degrees cutting angle, - I would get the A55. I do use the version I have quite a bit - it is excellent when working on a smaller, narrower board - and the handle I added works well. I am sure that the A55 would be better balanced.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I'm getting tool steel in all the planes except the smoother and mini smoother, these I got off the special page - just couldn't resist ! The wood looks like marble on the site.... I would have asked Terry if I could have them with TS but I figured the M4 would be better for when I use them as scrapers. I finish up on a sigma select II 10k so I think sharpening will be fine. Curios how you feel about the different blades?

I got to use only one of his planes, a handled jack, about 4 years ago, It was brief but as someone who was making planes at the time I was amazed how beautifully balanced it was. Power transfer was perfect! I have no doubt his plans are real gems. I look forward to them arriving, Hopefully next week !