Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA glue on a wooden plane

CA glue on a wooden plane

Howdy all,

I just received a fine Sandusky 19 that is in great shape for its age. It came from Cleveland OH so I'm glad when it finally decided to grow up and move away from home it chose me. The blade is rust free and and has very little hammer rash on the top. The striking knob is in similar shape showing very little signs of use. The ends shows only traces of small cracks and so does the sole, but they are very tight. Hairline really. One side was probably viciously attacked by a 6 years old and a awl but it doesn't look bad at all.

id still like to fix the cracks. I'm thinking ca is my best best due to the thin viscosity and it's availability. I've come to really like ca on wood. Good move or bad?

Thanks

Mark, I use CA all the time on wood. It is my "go to" for gap filling, use fine saw dust or talcum powder. If you want a darker look use instant coffee. A little accelerator can speed things up. Just don't glue any of your body parts to the bench DAMHIK!
    What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?”” – “”Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper.”” — Cohen the Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    Howdy all,

....... The ends shows only traces of small cracks and so does the sole, but they are very tight. Hairline really. .....I'd still like to fix the cracks.

I'm thinking ca is my best best due to the thin viscosity and it's availability. I've come to really like ca on wood. Good move or bad?

Thanks

If the cracks are hairline/tight, do you mean no opening.... if so, how would any glue or filler penetrate below the surface and, if not, do any good?

If there is a crack=opening, I would use slow curing epoxy, warmed to temporarily reduce the viscosity so that the epoxy gets into the opening. Any glue to the sole of the plane is very likely going to mean scraping and rewaxing of the sole.

just my thoughts

Michael

Thin CA will penetrate far better than epoxy. Don't get me wrong I like and use epoxy in a lot of places and you don't have to warm it to thin it. Mix rubbing alcohol (not denatured alcohol) up to 20% of the mix to thin it.
    What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?”” – “”Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper.”” — Cohen the Barbarian

CA glue reportedly doesn't make a permanent bond. It starts to slowly disintegrate after a number of years. (I don't remember how many.)

Thus, I would use heated epoxy.

Thanks for the replies. Jeff your thinking like me, which is why I asked the question. Allen, I agree and fully understand epoxies superiority. I just don't happen to have any longer than 30 minute set and it's fairly thick, even heated. I guess I could of added xylylene to thin it but I decided to go with superglue. I didn't get much penetration but I saw a need to be proactive. I applied, let it soak, scraped the excess and will BLO it in a week or so.

since this isn't a museum piece my goal is to get it in the best working shape I can. Judging by the penetration I got it was already there.

Having repaired / rehabbed more than my share of wooden planes, I would recommend leaving the cracks alone. Unless they impair the function of the plane (namely they are right in front of the mouth and grab shavings), the cracks are totally harmless and completely normal. Just another viewpoint.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

For many years I have used 5 minute epoxy and DENATURED alcohol(like you thin shellac with),to seal the wood before applying nitrocellulose lacquer. I just squirt some double streams of epoxy in a jar lid and carefully add the alcohol,stirring them together. It really doesn't matter how much alcohol as it dries out,leaving the epoxy. The object is to get the epoxy nearly like water like so it penetrates the wood. The alcohol slows the 5 minute epoxy 's drying time to about 2 hours when it is "leather hard". It is then that I sand it with 220 garnet paper and the excess balls up and rolls off. If I wait overnight,it is hard as blazes to sand as it is fully dry. I can make 4 coats of lacquer look like 20 since the epoxy is not melted at all by the lacquer. Better for tone,believe me. Too much finish kills the tone as it keeps the wood from vibrating.

The epoxy also has a pleasing warm appearance on the wood,like nitrocellulose lacquer does.

You could use this technique on your plane,and I'd recommend it over ca glue. I don't trust ca,and the conservation techs at the museum say it only lasts about 20 years. So,I never use it on anything I want to last. I use it mostly on gluing down small metal objects that are difficult to hold by any other means on the milling machine. Then,I heat the item up,the ca melts,and I can remove it.
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-03-2015 at 9:35 AM.

George, never heard anything like that. Gonna find a reason to use that soon, interesting .

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    George, never heard anything like that. Gonna find a reason to use that soon, interesting .
    I may have a reason for it tonight or this weekend. Thanks, George!

I haven't tried alcohol with longer drying epoxy,but there is no reason it would not work. And longer drying epoxy is harder when dry than 5 minute. It might take a few days to dry.

5 minute on my guitars is just fine,as it is better for tone.

by gosh George i was hoping you'd show up on this one, thanks!

I have a Sandusky 19 plane that I have used for truing every board since 1979. This time of year is when the end grain cracks are most open. In the spring they close up. Here is why. The plane gains a little in height and width over the summer, when it is more humid. As the humidity falls the end grain loses water faster than the interior which makes it shrink and open cracks. In the winter the interior of the block gradually shrinks also which closes up the cracks. In the late spring the end grain picks up moisture faster than the interior and swells closing tight the cracks. If you fill up the cracks now it will cause problems later when the end grain is swollen with respect to the interior. You will have taken away the wiggle room. A little bit like widening a door in the winter will cause jamming in when the door swells in spring.

My bench stop is similar. In the fall it shrinks faster than the rest of the bench, so it is loose. In the spring it is tight.

^ Warren makes a very good point.

If you could first seal the plane, with BLO = varnish, or whatever, then maybe seasonal changes wouldn't matter. - but then the epoxy won't hold, either.

There is an epoxy made for repairing boats which supposedly does expand & contract a bit. I forget what it's called, but I do remember it's very expensive!
    That might be the best solution, if you don't want to just living with the cracks.

Funny George, how I always seem to disagree with you. I had a an old box built as one of my first projects 25-30 years ago (first time I made box joints) been to the many a job site, beat to death in the back of several pick ups. I used CA to put it together, I was building RC planes and it was what I had on hand. My SIL still uses it at his job and still going strong CA breaking down in 20 years... yea right. The one time I used DENATURED alcohol, it set up in the mixing tub and got so hot that the tub deformed....