Thread: what glue to use to attach Pine to plywood?

what glue to use to attach Pine to plywood?

I'm in the process of building a table top for a small stand, would like to glue 2" strips of pine wood to a plywood substrate in a chevron pattern just like the pictures below.
    I'm thinking of using adhesive caulking instead of TB III and then stapling each piece, I only want to use adhesive caulking because it'll stay flexible after it drys and therefore it'll allow for the wood movement , and since plywood will expand/contract at a different rate than the pine, Titebond 3 would not be the ideal glue .
    Am I on the right track? would you have a better idea? maybe no glue / adhesive sealant at all, just staple? or maybe edge glue the pine and let it float on the plywood just like floating laminate flooring?
    How would you do it?
    I'll appreciate all your inputs.

sleek-pallet-kitchen-table.jpgrustic-pallet-TV-stand-and-media-console-with-storage.jpg

Interesting Q, and you listed my solution (edge glue, float) but that seems impractical, especially on a table top. So I am sure someone who knows what they are doing will give you a good answer.

In the meantime, if you don't already have the pine, maybe you could use plywood with a veneer face? Then the would be no issue, and your picture shows there is a edge.
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Construction adhesive would probably be fine esp with narrow boards. BEst glue for this is the stuff the floor guys trowel down for gluing wide plank floors down. Stays flexible and seriously adhesive. Can recall the name sadly.

If the pieces are narrow I would just go with PL and should be good. Over maybe 4 1/2" or so and you should look for something more elastic I think.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

Thank you both.
    Doug, I already have the pine ,jointed and planed ready to be cut to size.
    Ben,I thought about construction adhesive but the last time I used PL1000 (or maybe PL with a different #) it took a few days to dry,I have an adhesive/ sealant called "Kwik seal" that dries quickly,or Maybe I'll go to HD and see what other flexible the have adhesive that might be a better fit for this application.
    Thanks again for your comments.
    Ken.

Hi Ken, I would edge glue the pine and use a few screws in slotted holes to hold it onto the plywood.

The border around the table looks like a recipe for disaster as it won't be able to allow for expansion and contraction of the pine.................Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Ken, I would edge glue the pine and use a few screws in slotted holes to hold it onto the plywood.

The border around the table looks like a recipe for disaster as it won't be able to allow for expansion and contraction of the pine.................Regards, Rod.
    That's an interesting alternative Rod,I suppose I could clamp the two halves of the chevron separately and attach them to the plywood.
    I'll consider all options and will decide on one,thank you for the suggestion.
    Ken.