Thread: Laser table keeps going down

Laser table keeps going down

I recently replaced the control board on my Epilog Helix 60. The auto plunger didn't appear to be working, so I replaced that. Still, when I go to print, the plunger touches but the table starts to go down and just keeps going down. Can anyone help?

The plunger is stuck. It is supposed to stop the downward movement when it extends fully and the contact is either open or closed, not sure which.

Personally I have removed both plungers from my machines as they always caused issues
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Thank you, but the table still was going down. I finally took out the auto plunger and was able to operate the machine, but I really would like to get the auto focus plunger back. I have tried putting a tiny amount of grease even on the new plunger, to no avail. Someone out there must have had this problem. I would very much appreciate any other suggestions.

Shelly at this point your best option might be call Epilog tech support they will help you figure this out and the do not charge to talk to other then the cost of your phone call unless they have an international number. Good luck
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe

The auto focus has a set "down from zero" distance; when the plunger switch is engaged, the table will drop from that point to where the lens is focused. My LS 900 drops around 3/4" as the plunger is well below the bottom of the lens...

This distance can be changed by the user using your machine's alignment procedure, I'm sure someone here knows how to enter your machine's alignment mode. Since you changed the board, it may be that you just need to reset the distance...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-04-2015 at 10:42 AM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thank you Kev. This sounds hopeful. I will try that.

I think it's a sticky plunger too. The contact is right at the top of the black rectangular part that slides upwards. If you remove the plunger and then gently tap it up and down the contact will re engage, I think it has probably got sticky residue holding it.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

Here is the number to Epilog Laser Support Canada 604-227-2469 we all can guess what it might be but they can tell you what it is, so you can waist less time guessing.

Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe