Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Threaded inserts

Threaded inserts

Does anyone know of a demo or step by step regarding turning and threading wooden inserts?
    I really want to include them in my boxes and am sure I can 'learn' on the go but as usual I would like to cut to the chase as it were.
    I have seen lots of hand chasing and jig chasing demos and Utube vids but wonder if anyone has done one just on making inserts to insert?
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Hi Pete,
    Not exactly sure which part of threading you need.
    I have the Jig from England that makes a 16 tpi thread, I think you have it as well?
    With this jig you can easily make inserts for any hollow form or Urn.
    Here is a couple of pictures of a hollow form with an insert and threaded Fineal.
    Peter F.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    If anyone is looking for brass threaded insert hardware (see photo of a small hollow form below) I finally found them at Lee Valley.
    image.jpg
    This project measures 2.5" X 4", is made from figured Pacific Yew, with a Taqua Nut lid.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Years ago Allan Batty made a video on hand chasing threads. It was sold by Craft Supplies USA in VHS and DVD formats. About a year ago, CSUSA, put the entire video on YouTube. If you want to learn how to hand chase threads, it's a good place to start.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Blair, have you checked out the videos the Wyoming Woodturner (Sam Angelo) has posted on You-Tube? He does a lot of threaded turnings videos, you might find what your looking for there.
    Len

Mike Piece has a youtube video demonstrating the jig that Peter refers to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BEVkDnkZ0I

Russell, could you give a part no. or how to find the thread inserts at Lee Valley, I couldn't find them.

Thanks everyone! Yes, Peter is right I have the jig he referred to and it works well. I am just a little unsure of the process of making and inserting threaded sections into items. For instance, I have a very fragile turned hollow form which was made using some of the process of Harvey Fein. I am looking at it and am certain I could not insert any material now and thread it either by jig or by hand so I was wondering if I could thread a section first and insert it or possibly I should just forget the thread and glue in a finial. Not really sure. The Wyoming Wood Turner and his site are one of my favourites and sure enough I have watched his threading Utube videos. The sort of thing I was thinking about is how thick should the walls of a threaded insert be? if I wanted to fill a 1.5" hole with a threaded section, how large would the male threaded section wind up. That sort of thing. I think I will just have to get started and see where it takes me.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brown View Post
    Russell, could you give a part no. or how to find the thread inserts at Lee Valley, I couldn't find them.
    John, these have become very hard to find, recently, haven't they? Lee Valley's part numbers on the two sizes available are 88K74.09 and 88K74.10.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,250,43243

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Mike Mahoney published an article on lidded urns in Spring 2001 American Woodturner. AAW members have full access to every issue of the AW on line. He covers techniques on inserts.
    God is great and life is good!

Thanks Mike. I have a digital copy and will see if what he suggests will work for me. One of the things that I am wondering about is if I have some flat sections of good threading wood how would them be best turned into round discs that could be pre threaded or inserted and then threaded. For some reason all I can think of using are larger sections that could be turned round and then threaded and parted off . . . .
    Pete

Hi Pete,
    Just a couple of tricks to make be inserts without having them in the fragile hollow form.

1. Put a small blank in a chuck, bowl orientation, turn it round to become the insert.
    Drill a 7/8" hole (the absolute smallest hole that will work with the 3/4" cutter is just larger than 3/4".
    Thread this insert piece, female thread, having sized the outside diameter to fit the hollow form (1.5" I think you said).
    [You might want to make a "holding piece, threaded 7/8" male thread to hold your insert for additional shaping/ sizing]

2. Put the fineal base in the chuck (bowl orientation) for a 7/8" male thread with a nice shape to fit the shape of the hollow form. Drill a 3/8" hole in the top of the base for the Fineal to fit into.
    [you might want to make a small scrap female threaded block to hold the Fineal base for final shaping]

3. Turn a Fineal as per usual and size the tenon to fit into the threaded base section, 3/8" tenon.

You now have four threaded parts that you can use for threaded inserts. Two are the actual parts and two are scrap holding blocks that can be used for future inserts.

Hope this helps.
    Peter F.

Threaded inserts

Thanks Peter et al. I did look at the Mike Mahoney article but it really doesn't provide the help I was looking for.
    Peter, thanks for taking the time to put your note together. I guess I am a little thick but I can't quite figure out your method but will print your email and try to work through it in my shop over the next while.
    Say if I have a 2" diameter small box and want to add threaded inserts and I have some suitable threadable wood such as holly but he holly is a thin board (3/16").
    First I am guessing that I need to roughly turn the box with a tenon on both ends.
    Part the box where I want the lid
    Now what? How exactly do I prepare the lid and base?
    How do I make the inserts male and female to insert?
    Do I have the option of threading first or should I only consider threading after the holly is inserted?
    I do have the tools and I believe the skill to figure this out by trial and error but was hoping someone else has already done or is doing this process and shorten my learning curve with their experience.
    I'm pretty busy just now so doubt I will get to this before Christmas and am away on vacation early in Jan so I have lots and lots of time to contemplate the steps.
    Pete

The only way I can think of to do that would be to first, turn the insert to fit into the hollow form, then thread it by mounting it in a waste block of some sort, then glue it into the hollow form. If you were threading with one of the mechanical threading set ups, then you probably should have done that first, then finished the hollow form. You might be able to cut the threads first, then cut the male threads on a waste block, thread the insert onto the waste block, and turn the outside to fit the hollow form. On a side note, 1 1/2 inch diameter is the extreme end for solid wood threaded boxes. There is enough movement in a piece that size that it can move for a less than perfect fit. I had some in that range and went to a much drier place for a show. All the boxes in that size moves. The lids would come off, but it was loose, snug, loose, snug for one revolution. Funny thing, when I got them back home, they stayed that way, and I always rough turn boxes and let them 'adjust' before I finish turn them.

I do use the Bonnie Klein method for when I make threaded boxes. I have a bunch of pine on locking nuts for waste blocks. They have the female threads for inserting the box bottom so I can finish turn the bottom of the box after parting it off the waste block. I have thought, more than once, I need to do male waste blocks for when I need to touch up the lids rather than putting the lid on the box while the base is still on the waste block.

robo hippy

It was the use of threaded waste blocks that I was trying to explain. Reed notes that you should shape the insert to size and then thread it.... This will not work if the thickness of the insert is very thin as was the one I showed in my HF picture. The little ring insert width was just about 3/16" and it would have cracked if trying to thread it so thin. I held it in a chuck and drilled it, then threaded it and screwed it onto a male threaded waste block. This allowed me to shape the ring to fit into the HF.
    I do the same for the threaded base piece where the Fineal will set into. The tenon needs to be held securely for threading and set into a female waste block for shaping the top curve. I guess the whole Fineal could be turned while holding the piece by its threaded tenon.
    Peter F.