Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why gift cards?

Whereas my wife and kids and I actually maintain gift lists at Amazon, nobody else in the family does and if you ask them, they have no clue what it is that they want. It's just easier to give them gift cards and let them make the decision on what they want to spend it on than risk getting something they hate or already have.

Some people are extremely seletive about certain things. For example, my family knows better than to buy a tool for my shop. I know better than to buy an appliance for my wife's new kitchen. So, I have family members who have given me a gift card to Rockler or WoodCraft and it works out well.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We give Starbucks cards to a select few because we know they'll use them.
    If we give any other cards, they will be a VISA, MC, or other. They can be spent anywhere.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I had a woman friend give me a flower arrangement as a "thank you" gift one time (for some woodworking things I did for her). While I know she had good intentions, I can't think of a more useless gift - it will just sit around and then you'll throw it out. A gift card would have been much more appreciated - I could have used that to buy tools or materials - something that would last.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    A few years ago our teenage grandchildren asked for gift cards from one of the local shopping malls. The cards work in any of the 100+ mall stores. They're happy and we don't have to scratch our heads trying to figure out what they want.
    It's a win/win for us.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We used to buy quite a few for other stores at Kroger. Every $50 we spend on gift cards gets $0.10 off on a gallon of gas. Every $25 this time of year. Since I traded my truck for an escape it's not as big a deal though.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 12-06-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Store gift cards limit you to only one place, while cash is universal. Right now I'm holding a handful of Lowes cards, but what I want is at HD. My dad used to say about cash- "The size may not be right, but the color is perfect!"

If I get cash, it often gets spent on whatever is needed at the time. If I get Lee Valley gift cards - I ca n only use them for ME. ��
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Retailers love gift cards because a lot never get used.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    If I get Lee Valley gift cards - I ca n only use them for ME. ��

I always get upset when that happens to me!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

At one time Meijer had a day about once a month or whatever where you got 15% off any purchase in the store if you used the Meijer credit card and then during the Christmas season there were Santa bucs available for employees or some such. My daughter's boyfriend would buy Amazon gift cards there, a $100 gift card for like $60.

I like Subway and Starbucks cards for Christmas. Will PM my address.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Retailers love gift cards because a lot never get used.
    Every year the news discusses this topic. In the USA, people have over $41 billion in unused gift cards. I either give gifts or cash, or both. The people I know who need cash, need cash not a gift card. Look at Craigslist sometime and see how many people sell gift cards for cash. Some might be from refunds but those that are even dollar amounts were most likely gifts someone is selling for a lower cash value.

http://www.giftcardgranny.com/statistics/

I wonder at what point gift cards are actually written off on a retailer's books? Gift cards these days are generally good forever.

Definitely during their bankruptcies.

Retailers push gift cards, since you can only redeem them in their store. You are also tempted to purchase other items over and above the value of the gift card. So a win-win in their book.
    Besides, if I have cash, it seems to grow legs and walk out of my wallet too fast. A gift card gives me something to look forward to.